Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a swarm call, will be on my way there in about an hour or so. I have a couple different sizes of cardboard box. My plan is to go up about 20 foot (on a 32 foot ladder) with 5 gallon bucket tied to rope. Pull the bucket up and scoop/brush as many bees into the bucket as I can. Then I'll lower the bucket back down, climb down and dump them into the cardboard box and close it up. Then come back after dark and take it home after what I hope is the majority of them end up in the box after sundown.

Does this sound about right? I'm going to bring a spray bottle with water in it with. Is it worth using? Will it really keep that many from flying?

This will be my first swarm collection if it hasn't moved on!

Thanks!

swarmcall.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a swarm call, will be on my way there in about an hour or so. I have a couple different sizes of cardboard box. My plan is to go up about 20 foot (on a 32 foot ladder) with 5 gallon bucket tied to rope. Pull the bucket up and scoop/brush as many bees into the bucket as I can. Then I'll lower the bucket back down, climb down and dump them into the cardboard box and close it up. Then come back after dark and take it home after what I hope is the majority of them end up in the box after sundown.

Does this sound about right? I'm going to bring a spray bottle with water in it with. Is it worth using? Will it really keep that many from flying?

This will be my first swarm collection if it hasn't moved on!

Thanks!

View attachment 10970
I hope it moved on.
Do not attempt this if this is your first one or i it is your 100th one.
It is not worth the risk.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That may be a challenging cutout or trapout call before you are done. Do you know whether bees were already in the eave and these are preparing to swarm?
The homeowner hasn't seen bees before, these seemed to have appeared and then gone away at night. When I saw the picture I thought it might be an established colony that's started bearding/swarm preparations and that's why they seemed to "disappear" at night and then show back up sometime after the sun came up. And they seem pretty spread out. He did mention that he sprayed them (with a hose maybe?) at some point yesterday, so I don't know if he took the picture after that and they were a bit discombobulated.

I'm not interested in trying a cutout/trap out at this time. Especially not up in the air that far.

I hope it moved on.
Do not attempt this if this is your first one or i it is your 100th one.
It is not worth the risk.
Because of how high up it is? I deer hunt so I climb up trees about 20 feet fairly frequently. I'm obviously not brushing bees into a bucket, but it doesn't seem like that big a risk? I'm a cautious person, and when I see the layout I might tell them I can't help them. And it certainly doesn't do much good for me to brush bees from an established colony into a box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Safety first - in my case and I understand that everybody is different.
Yes the height, the fact that you have only 2 hands and one life! and that it would be your first swarm collection.
As a general rule that I follow is that nothing over 15' is worth it, but I might be valuing my life too much???
As a swarm if they move on is the best.
For cutouts like this I just rent from Home Depot a Genie lift and do it safely.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Safety first - in my case and I understand that everybody is different.
Yes the height, the fact that you have only 2 hands and one life! and that it would be your first swarm collection.
As a general rule that I follow is that nothing over 15' is worth it, but I might be valuing my life too much???
As a swarm if they move on is the best.
For cutouts like this I just rent from Home Depot a Genie lift and do it safely.
20' was a major exaggeration on his part. 16' of his ladder was up past the roof. Bees were 12-14 feet off the ground very comfortable and felt as safe as I ever have on a ladder.

Took a couple trips up to get the vast majority into the cardboard box. Sprayed them lightly with water and brushed into bucket then dumped into box first. The sealed with tape. Next two trips dumped them in front of hole in box and they went in. Lots of fanning at entrance. (This is good right?)

Not a terribly large swarm, I'd say about two pounds of nearly completely black bees. Suffered one sting on my last trip up the ladder. A bee I brushed off fell down my glove and got me.

Otherwise flawless. I'll go pick them up later around dark.

20140521_151736.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts