Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deep and a med super for the brood. Excluder on top of that. Med super on top of the excluder and 2 weeks ago saw the top super was 85% filled with capping starting so I put another med super between the excluder and the filled super. New foundation in the new med super. Looked today and to my surprise the new med super is full of drawn and filled comb.

2 weeks to draw and fill a medium super??? I was floored. I'm a new beek with a first year hive from a split so I don't know if this is normal or just a fluke. I have more super parts on order and should be here on 7/21. I can build them that day and have another on there that night.

Should I add the third super or hold off. Is it too late in the season to add supers? Seems this hive is producing like gang busters. I would like to have a full super for wintering so I wonder if they could fill another before things start to slow here in Santa Clara, CA. What do you think???

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If they are putting up...add a super. You are wondering if that is normal...filling a super in 2 weeks....the answer is sometimes! When all the variables are in alignment it happens. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts