Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed this package 4/24. First couple days were normal orientation flights then steady in/out that I’d associate 3 lbs of bees doing. Last few days in the afternoon, it was busy like the video link. I’m not seeing any fighting on landing board, but they head butt me every time they’ve been like this. Any input?

https://youtu.be/Hni10V8lci8

Info. They’ve drawn about 6/8 frames on top box. Top feeder on since package install. Laying queen as of 5/1 when I checked.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Normal orientation for warm weather. 6-8 frames, ten days, got to love warm weather.
Head Butt ? They are not your queens bees so no way to know yet how the hive will turn out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only time they are cranky is when they’re busy like this. Rest of the time I set in a lawn chair about 6’ to the side and watch.

As for warm, it’s been 55-70 degrees and rain showers. Great for hay fields..... less for blooming plants. Probably 2-3 weeks till blackberry flow. Hoping they’re up for drawing out a couple more boxes.

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Agree with Saltybee. Looks normal. Bees tend to be cranky right after it has stopped raining so just because the sun is shining does not mean the girls are happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts