Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I harvested a couple supers from my strong hive. I put the wet supers back on the hive for the bees to clean up (with the inner cover and an extra box in between), but instead of cleaning them up, they started filling them again! I left them on, hoping they'd finish out the 2 supers they started filling. Now (a couple weeks later) the flow is over, and the bees have left them with partially filled, partially capped frames. I'd say that most frames are 60% full, and all of it is only 15% capped. What should I do? I'd like to get them off in the next week or two, since that would be the best time to treat with thymol and get them down to their over-wintering size. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Put them temporarily in a freezer or refrigerator. This will help dry them if they still have too much moisture. You are probably aware that anything in the fridge, not properly sealed, tends to dry out. After your treatment, you can make the call on what's next.
Walt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response... I have another question- will the bees eventually cap those stores if I leave them on (or put them back on), even if the cells aren't completely filled?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have not seen them cap short cells, but some here on beesource have reported that they do. I generally leave the unfinished frames on in the fall until broodnest close out. The open cell is available for backfilling at closeout, and for feed until then. That way, they don't have to open the capped honey just above the broodnest to carry them through the fall. Our fall flow has been iffy for the last few years.

Walt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts