Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nuc 2 weeks ago and just noticed in my latest colony exam that I have two queens, and neither of them have a blue dot on their back. What should I do? Kill one? Kill both and get a new queen? Let the bees take care of it?

Should I demand a free new queen from the guy who gave me the nuc?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm pretty hands-off to begin with, so I say let them sort it out... It could be that they may live in harmony for a while, and you'll have double the production. Unlikely, but possible. If not, they'll sort it out in their own way.... no sense in messing with millions of years of experience, I say...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you sure your not looking at Drones? Did the seller promise you a marked queen?

·
Registered
970 Posts
dont know what he might have used for marking but the markers in some of the bee supply. will come off

the mark will come off if the bees dont like it they will work on geting it off.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
With a queen supersedure it is best to allow the bees to decide. I have had a daughter queen laying along side her mother for as long as 5 weeks before the mother vanished. If you kill one you may make the wrong choice and end up with a queenless hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts