Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I split my hive a while back into a nuc and another hive. I can't remember now how many weeks But at least 6. A week ago I recombined the nuc to the main hive with newspaper because they were backfilling everything with honey in both the nuc and the new hive. I figured I had total failure in the queen department despite having lots of queen cells and was going to start over because I didn't want to keep robbing my main hive of brood that it might not be able to afford.

I had an empty honey super (no comb) on top of two almost full deeps. I put my nuc on this with newspaper in between 8 days ago. I looked in today expecting all honey in the nuc. What I found was capped brood, all sizes of larva, and eggs. (The honey super is still empty, btw. Lucky me.)

Am I right in thinking the queen did NOT cross that empty honey super to come up there and lay eggs? If so, am I also right in thinking the queens could have been far enough apart for everyone to get along? You are probably asking if I actually SAW a queen up there and that answer is no. I'm not very good at finding queens so can't trust my eyes.

I went ahead and resplit the hives since I had young brood and eggs. I'll find out next week, I suppose, when I look for queen cells in my nuc but wanted to get everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have an opinion for this first year bumbling beekeeper?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone have an opinion for this first year bumbling beekeeper?
Your not a bumbling bee keeper. I think you where just to quick on the draw is all. You probably had a mated queen that just wasn't quick to take off. I went out and bought a queen because I didn't give them enough time to prove she was in there then when I opened the hive to place her in several frames of eggs and very young larvae. Bees love to prove beekeepers wrong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just wondering if my bees actually mixed and matched or if everyone stayed in their own space. There were some in the honey super in the middle, but not many. My nuc box is slam full, though. I need to do something with them quick. I have another one but they don't seem to want to stack very well.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I use the Demaree swarm control (moving a deep with all the capped brood above the supers above an excluder) always give the queen down in the lower deep to lay. Well I missed the reshuffle due to weather and found an emerged QC so did not resort the boxes. Yesterday I had a frame of eggs and a queen in the top box, same situation as you have described. I simply put a migratory lid where the QE was and slid back a top box so the top hive has a larger entrance than the small slit I leave it. I have also put in a half frame of wax into the lower hive (she has no place left to lay) I am going to have her lay on the new wax, cut the frame into triangles and then remove the old queen (ally method).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an update, my second hive I split off a week after creating my nuc also has a queen. Yay! A week ago I would have sworn they didn't have a queen because everything was backfilled with nectar but decided to wait one more week. I went in today to add some brood and found a small amount of brood. I added some emerging bees instead of brood.

It took 5 weeks from the time I put in a frame with capped queen cells for me to see brood. There was no brood a week ago so it took her 4 weeks to start laying. Isn't that awfully long? In the wild, a hive wouldn't survive at that rate, would it?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks for the update, for a queen you are at 28 days +/- 5 days so you right on the money.
That is why I like to take some brood in a strong queenless nuc (or above and excluder and several supers). When I have a capped QC at day 10 I put them in a 2 frame mating nuc. You can use the queen cell (s) and cut 10 days off or breed them and cut the entire time off.
Try to sound smart here but my update was the queen did not read the same books as I did. She moved up into the shallow rather than lay in the new partial frame. I recombined the hives back (with newspaper even if it was only 3 days). Rather than pinch the queen I was happy with I took her and 3 frames of brood over to another yard, pinched that queen, and did a newspaper combine. It was not happy about it. I got home and found about 20 stingers in each leg of my jeans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts