Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I check on my 2 hives yesterday. Again I am still having problems. They both are caught swarms and I am a first year rookie.

Hive 1:

No queen ended up with laying workers. Did a shake out and that seemed to do the trick. I bought a queen, they released her and swarmed (because of ants) 4-5 days later. I caught them back. 8 days later (Thursday) I checked on them and found a capped queen cell. Yesterday still no sign of eggs or brood. Bees covering the capped queen cell and very protective of it.

Hive 2:

This swarm was caught 2 weeks ago yesterday. Very small in numbers. They have drawn some comb and have put pollen and nectar in but no signs of eggs or brood.

I cannot find the queen in either one. I was thinking of combining the two hives and hoping for the best with the queen cell in in hive one. What do you think? If I do combine can I just move them over or will they fight? Newspaper combine? I have no other resources and I do not want to get into a laying worker situation.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you are not positive of the queen situation in at least one of them, do a newspaper combine, the bees will figure things out. One stronger hive is better than two weaker hives.
Thanks. Should I wait for the virgin queen to emerge (should be Wed-Fri) or just go ahead and do the combine now?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.