Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ob two occasions I have found 2 queens in one colony. On each occasion the queens do not seem to be inclined to lay very much. I am asking what has been the experience of others, and what action have others taken, and whether that was a good fix? I am contemplating pinching one of the two queens rather than splitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,256 Posts
Ob two occasions I have found 2 queens in one colony. On each occasion the queens do not seem to be inclined to lay very much. I am asking what has been the experience of others, and what action have others taken, and whether that was a good fix? I am contemplating pinching one of the two queens rather than splitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil
Why Pinch one? And which one do you pinch? Just curious?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Agreed. If they’re in the same box they’ll work it out. I did have a hive with a queen above and one below the excluder. I left the best looking one and put the other in a nuc.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Barhopper: I was thinking of something similar to what you did. How did that work out? Did one of the splits do better than the other?

Phil

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes one did better. The one I left. I had two different brood nest though, one on each side of the excluder. When they’re both in the same box I let them work it out. I’m checking a double queen hive tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see if there are still two in there. I’m betting not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts