Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have unsuccessfully run one hive for 2-years. The first year they had a mite crash and the second I lost my queen too late in the summer. So, this year I am running two hives. This morning I installed two new packages and now a few hours later I see bees on one have appearing to be mostly inside while the bees in the other hive are mostly hanging outside.

20190505_123957.jpg

The difference between the 2 hives is the one with bees inside has a 2-tray top feeder while the hive with the bees outside has a drip pail inside.

Anyone know what is happening? Perhaps the drip pail is running too much as soaking the bees is all I can think of? Your experienced thoughts please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Hi Doug and welcome to the forum. Can't offer much except that you should go in and check if the pail feeder is leaking. That would drive them out and eventually kill the hive. I assume you checked the queen and she is ok...J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Fivej and thanks for the reply.

I have not checked the hive since I just installed them, but both the hives seem to be acting normally now.Though it has only been 3-days since installing the packages I will check the hive today and see what the feeders look like as it is probably time to refill since each only had a gallon of 1:1 feed.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Or perhaps the drip pail is attracting "other" bees?, but I don't know how they work, or if this is even possible:) Only one way to find out:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts