Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first hive is two months old today.. An inspection last evening, (my third) revealed that the bees have only filled 4 of the 10 frames and there is absolutely no capped honey anywhere.. There is capped brood, but lots of empty cells with no honey.. On my inspection two weeks ago, I noticed a little capped honey, but not much and now there is none.. Is this normal or am I being robbed?

Also, I am still feeding my bees, because they are still taking it.. I am feeding a 2 to 1 water sugar ratio.. Should I still be feeding?

thanks all!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Are all their combs drawn or is there foundation? Either way I would continue to feed. If they have only filled 4 frames with brood, pollen and syrup in 2 months there is something wrong with them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
if this is a new hive with new frames - yeah you must keep feeding them - make the entrance as little as possible to let the bees in

if they cant find a food source they will not store it -

also - it takes a LOT of sugar to get wax -
it takes 8-9lbs of honey to get 1lb of wax - it takes about 1/2 lb of wax to draw out 1 deep frame on both sides

honey is 18-20% of what it was as nector - having said that- that means that 1 lb of honey started as 5 lbs of nector -

so get 1lb of wax they need 40-50lbs of nector or sugar water to make that one pound of wax or 2 frames of wax

an average hive will take 1/2-gallon if sugar water a week

good luck with the bees

·
Registered
760 Posts
at 1/2 gallon a day id be worried about honey boundiing

i had a few do that few years back and i started skipping a day to keep that honey bound at bay -- if you let the feeder be dry for a day after they empty it - they will use up some of the sugar water that they stored

but then again - if they take it - let them have it !!!!! its a close call - with the wacky weather this year

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You need to switch to 1:1 and it isn't unusual to have no capped honey in the spring. You should have cells with pollen and nectar as they build up. Keep the feed on them. What makes you think they are being robbed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts