Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was inspection day for my hive. Buildup is slow, but it looks "healthy" - plenty of capped brood, egs, larvae of all sizes, pollen & honey. Eggs everywhere.

However - in one frame, in the absolute center, is a single round cell (looks like a marble sized ball built out from the comb). Inside was a nice fat larvae (being fed and attended constantly - had a heck of a time getting a look at it). This hive has no drone cells at all.
The bees still cover only 4 frames, though they've gone from covering lightly to packing quite densely, even piling on top of the bars. Areas of the comb they had drawn last week, but didn't have nurse bees to attend are now covered & have larvae in them.

The queen looks good (though she doesn't hold still on the frame from what I can tell).
They are drawing cells (though slowly).
I was tempted to tear out the queen cell, but I finally decided that the bees probably know better than I if something is wrong with the queen, and I'm worried that even though there may be eggs everywhere, there might be something wrong with her. Could they be planning to swarm? Or is this a supercedure cell?

·
Registered
764 Posts
if it's in the center of the frame, it's most likely a supercedure cell. Maybe when it's capped you can use it to make a split

·
Registered
702 Posts
It seems awful slow buildup, perhaps the bees are not happy with the queen and want to get rid of her.
I would live the cell alone.
Konrad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts