Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's even neat. You can see the difference easier between the species. I have carniolans and italians next to each other and it's fun to compare their different habits.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I see more differences between two Italian hives just based on different queens etc. than between an Italian and a Carniolan. But so far I LOVE the Carniolans. They have been productive, gentle and wonderful bees.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>MB..........can I expect any honey to harvest this year from my bees or will they use everything to build new comb and brood?

Life is unpredictable.

I had two carni hives last year. One was in my top bar hive. The combs collapsed and I transferred them to a long medium hive (three boxes long) They still built up well and wintered well. They WOULD have made honey if it weren't for the collapse.

The second one was started on PermaComb in a five frame medium nuc. I moved it to an 8-frame box and then split it to two 8-frame boxes and before the year was over I made 8 splits from it and used it for my queen rearing. It was five boxes of bees going into winter. I didn't make any honey, but I certainly could have if I hadn't make 8 splits and a lot of queens.

That doesn't mean yours will do that well. The weather, the nectar flow, the fecundity of the queen are all factors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts