Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have 2 hives going. One of them is a polar vortex survivor colony that has a naturally mated queen that has Carniolan heritage for sure. My other hive comes from a 3 lb. package of Buckfasts installed at the end of april.

The winter survivors have been slow to build up their numbers, but otherwise appear very healthy. Very few mites, decent laying pattern, lots of honey, just not a lot of bees yet. The Buckfasts are doing great! They are pulling a ton of new wax, the queen has a beautiful laying pattern and has been laying so well that I took a frame and a half of mostly capped brood and swapped it for two frames of honey with the Carniolans.

Here is my plan. I want to make a new colony using brood from both so neither colony takes to big of a hit. I will purchase a queen, add the 4 frames of brood (2 from each of the other colonies), and atleast 2-3 frames of honey and pollen to get them started. I will also feed them heavy with my Bee Tea recipe which includes nettles, thyme, Chamomile, sea salt, cider vinegar, and lemon grass oil.

1st question - Any northern queen breeders who sell wild mated queens. I am less concerned with variety, but was very impressed with the winter survival abilities of the Carniolans so would lean towards them.

2nd - When using bees and brood from 2 separate colonies, if there are young workers from both that make it into the split, how do you think they will react to each other especially with a new queen?

Other than that, I feel pretty confident about this idea, and so far this season I have had pretty much nothing but positive things coming out of the beeyard. Thanks everyone....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Answer to number 2) According to Michael Bush, in a split from two hives they will fight, three hives and they won't. Not sure why but that's what he says.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Michael Palmer is in Vermont and he sells queens. He is a user in these forums.

Queen-less bees from different colonies will not fight. They fight when there is two queens put together within them. Make up your split from two different colonies, wait and hour and introduce the queen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts