Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time, I dropped a mini mating nuc after I had it made up. It was a two frame (deep) mini. This one had a frame with multiple queen cells on it and a frame of honey. After I had it made up I dropped it while moving it to its stand, spilling bees and frames, and probably killing queen pupae. :doh: I'll know in a few days. Butterfingers. :applause: I did the same last year with one of the two frame minis.

So I obviously need to make some handle improvements. The current handles are the two handles at the top on the ends that form the frame rest.

Any of you do anything different?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Don't know what to say but stuff happens. Don't feel bad about it. Last spring in the bee yard I had a slip in the mud hit the t post on the way down on the back of my head and knocked myself out cold. After 22 staples in the back of my head and a night under observation in the ICU because of a little bleed in my head I don't worry the little stuff.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
I use a 5 frame nucs that I put a divider into to make it 2 - 2 frame. I have dadoes in the side of them just like I do for my 10 frame boxes. My dadoes are 3/8" deep and some times my fingers slip if the boxes are heavy. I have considered stapling some 3/4" x 2" x 4" handles over the dadoes. I have some boxes that I put 2" handles along all 4 sides that I copied from some boxes I won at a bee club raffle. I always have a good grip on those boxes. Smaller is not always better, just easier to make.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a 5 fr box I use to collect swarms.
I just stapled a piece of electrical wire to the ends and it is looped over the top with enough slack to remove and replace the cover.You could use rope or paracord also but the wire is handy because it doesn't flop over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A piece of 1x2 attached the side of the box makes a decent handle. I am transitioning to having it on all my boxes. The cleats are way better than the cut out hand hold.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I have for decades put beveled handles on every box. Rain water drains off, fingers grabbed the sloped bottom of the handle. Empty boxes can be carried in one hand. Like any additional expense, it pays off quickly in comfort, convenience and increased productivity. Boxes are not that heavy, fingers are just not designed to carry heavy boxes with the usual indented grips.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here is an update. There were four capped cells on the frame in the box that I dropped. All perished.

odfrank, I do put beveled handles on my regular hive boxes. I much prefer the beveled cleat handle. It lets me lift the box with my hands closer to my body, which is a help for geezer back. You know the saying, if you're a beekeeper you've either got back problems or you will have back problems. So anything in terms of ergonomics helps. This was one of the two frame mating nucs with the dcoates type frame rests that double as handles. I think for next batch of these that I make I'll just cut a normal frame rest.

I also had another idea. I'm installing a 1/4-20 threaded insert in the bottoms of the 2 frame mating nucs. Then I can easily clamp them to the hive stand so that they won't fall over. I like the idea of the mating nucs being frame compatible with everything else, but the skinny box is just a bit unstable.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Here's an example of one of my failures (one of many, I might add):

I figured that a 2-frame box would be handy for carrying donated frames of larvae and such-like around the apiary, but that I'd add an entrance in order that it could also function as a mating-nuc box:

But - the bl##dy thing kept falling over - so I hit on the idea of adding a rotating strut to provide stability ...

If memory serves, it functioned for about a month before it found it's way onto the bonfire - to be replaced by a 6-frame Marburg Box, which is still in occasional use. Like later-on today - first time out this season. :)
LJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts