Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw these on youtube and am thinking of making a bunch of them. I have already 25 x5 frame wooden nucs with migratory covers i made up over winter but these 2 framers have me thinking this would be a way to get twice the numbers of mated queens ( minus whatever queens fail to get mated/die obviously) with the same number of brood frame resources being used up.
Would also be handy to be able to pull a frame of brood every week or so from these throughout the season for making nucs etc.

Anyone have any experience with them? One thing im a little worried about is their stability in wind given their height to width ratio.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I made up four of the two framers two years ago. They seem stable as built and I have never had one blow over. I did find that robbing screens are a necessity as there will be too few bees to defend the nuc. The "super" is a feeder with a pint mason jar, 3" hole with hardware cloth. If I make more, I will use the dimensions from Barnyard Bees.

20190216_082802.jpg

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If i remember right i saw somewhere where bees do better on three frames over two. Though i have seen a lot of twos in uses. Just something to think about. I haven’t ran ether one yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I made 9 of the ones that JWPalmer posted..from Barnyard.....I came home one day and they were all laying on their sides like dominos from wind blowing over....I stopped using the feeder box and instead went with quart feeder jars...works better FOR ME.
Also, the two framers are a good design...but early walkaway splits here in Northern climate they did not fare too well...I got chilled brood...just not enough bees and lots of surface area....so I built double two frame nuc boxes out of a 5 frame box...which offers two things ...1. a stable base which won't blow over...and 2. A shared wall to conserve share heat. That seemed to work better FOR ME.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have some 2 frame nucs and do use them in a pinch, they do work well.I have went to using a 5 frame nuc with a follower board. When I need to add more room for the nuc all i have to do is move the follower board a little and add a frame. I do not have to take all the bees out and put them in a new box. If I want to pull the queen and add her somewhere else I can still do that and it acts as a 2 frame mating nuc.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
JW,
I think the stability comes from the thick base you use. I use rough 2x with 3/8 slats nailed on. Not side by side friendly but do not tip. Yours rough 1x?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am wanting to try some of them as well. Have a sheet of particle board that needs to go anyway.
My thought was to just strap them to the stand to keep them upright. Not using them for my primary splits but just to get queens bred and let them grow the box out. Then just go thru and combine the failures with the successes into five frames to overwinter.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
The university of Guelph use styrofoam mini nucs and tie each one down onto the pallet stands they use not only for wind but also to prevent possums and skunks from knocking them over which would also hold good for any small mating nucs.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made 9 of the ones that JWPalmer posted..from Barnyard.....I came home one day and they were all laying on their sides like dominos from wind blowing over....I stopped using the feeder box and instead went with quart feeder jars...works better FOR ME.
Also, the two framers are a good design...but early walkaway splits here in Northern climate they did not fare too well...I got chilled brood...just not enough bees and lots of surface area....so I built double two frame nuc boxes out of a 5 frame box...which offers two things ...1. a stable base which won't blow over...and 2. A shared wall to conserve share heat. That seemed to work better FOR ME.

i wonder if i could devise a divider to put in to the 5 frame nucs i already made.
Not sure how to go about placing a divider once the box is already built...hmm have to think about that one.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some 2 frame nucs and do use them in a pinch, they do work well.I have went to using a 5 frame nuc with a follower board. When I need to add more room for the nuc all i have to do is move the follower board a little and add a frame. I do not have to take all the bees out and put them in a new box. If I want to pull the queen and add her somewhere else I can still do that and it acts as a 2 frame mating nuc.
not familiar with a follower board do you have a pic of it?
Its a removable divider?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
never mind i found a pic of it! Thats simple and genius. I will use that in the 5 frame nuc boxes i made.
Thanks for the idea Greg you just saved me a ton of time and money!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Saltybee, just a regular 1x. The bottom board sits in a dado that gets it 3/8" off the stand, just like my regular bottom boards. The BB version has a nuc sized feeder on it that I think would make it top heavy. The two frame super that I use is just wide enough for the pint sized jar to fit. This year I will be running a couple 4-way queen castles, the two frame nucs, and four of the ML double mini nucs side by side. Curious to see how well each does compared to the others. All will be getting queen cells on day 14. I will still be using 5 frame nucs for any walk away splits since I have never had success with any two frame nucs used that way in several attempts, although much of that may be due to timing. Mid summer did not work out well for me at all last year, whereas late spring saw almost 100% success in the five frame nucs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you live in an area with SHB, be careful with two framers. I haven’t had any luck with them. The beetles took them over every time I tried.

·
Registered
53 Posts
not familiar with a follower board do you have a pic of it?
Its a removable divider?
I use a pink styrofoam type board, just like a follower board, because I had it
A follower board is a solid board with a top like that of a frame used to take up space until they grow and need another frame helping conserve heat used this way

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use a pink styrofoam type board, just like a follower board, because I had it
A follower board is a solid board with a top like that of a frame used to take up space until they grow and need another frame helping conserve heat used this way
will the bees chew through the styrofoam?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
will the bees chew through the styrofoam? Yes. I have seen ware people have people have warp it with aluminum foil an had good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts