Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have one hive but will probably max out at 2. They are in my backyard about 50 feet from my backdoor so I anticipate harvesting frames as they are capped instead of a whole super at a time. The crush and strain method worked OK for me this year but as a first-year beek I only harvested 4 frames. Looking to get a small extractor.

Any opinions on this model? https://www.mannlakeltd.com/2-frame-stainless-steel-hand-crank-extractor Suggestions for better ones at similar price?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Consider 2-frame DIY.
20190902_144316.jpg

Marginal cost of 2-frame extractor purchased is ... crazy (for just 2 frames).
Might as well then buy something bigger for just a little more.
Still, your honey from 2 hives will be golden.
What is the point?
I suppose - to have your "own honey" is fair enough.

The DYI 2-framer costs 30-40$ max IF that.
Mine was like $20 for parts (granted I had free buckets).
AND it is motorized.

Extracting 2 frames at a time - this is hassle you want to avoid.
No benefits in this method, but artificially created busy work (unless really bored and have tons of time).
You may pull the frames by one or two and set them aside.
But the extraction itself is best done in a batch.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Min I would recommend is three frames. Extractor is much better balanced with three frames.

I helped a friend extract and he has a two frame crank. I really noticed the increase in unbalance over my three frame extractor.

Look up Uncle Wiener's. Friends have the three frame crank extractor and are quite happy with the three frame unit. $200 Cdn which is some $150 US and shipping.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Min I would recommend is three frames. Extractor is much better balanced with three frames..
I would concur - the more frames, the better balance.
If to buy, I would never buy a 2-frame.
3-framer is a better start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts