Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago I helped an older gentleman switch out rotten boxes on his hive. They were BOOMING! Two deeps and two shallows full of bees!!! EVERYWHERE!

The two deeps had lots of brood and the two shallows were capped. Every space was filled with brood or nectar. I added a shallow that I had with me at that time and checkerboarded the new frames with filled capped frames.

Yesterday I went back to remove some of the capped frames. We went all the way through the boxes because I was afraid thay would have started swarm cells since they were so crowded.

We found about 3 patches of old capped brood (about to emerge) about the size of a silver dollar on different frames. Still LOTS of bees but did not see the queen (too many bees and they were starting to get agitated to spend much time looking in the 95 degree weather).

ALL of the cells that brood had emerged from were filled with nectar.

I found several places were it looked like there were some queen cells that were half torn down, but they were dark brown and looked very old.

I imagine that I injured or killed the queen three weeks ago. I would have hoped that they would have made a new queen. If they did, would they have filled up all of the brood cells with nectar? Even if there is a virgin queen that is not yet laying, they have left no place for her to lay when she wants to start.

Since he only has one hive, I could not move a frame of eggs over so I will try to take one over in a couple of days.

I did have 5 frames of deep foundation with me so I replaced five frames that were torn and mostly drone brood with foundation to give them something to do and maybe give the (possible) virgin queen a place to lay. I also added two more shallows which I checkerboarded with the frames filled with nectar.

We still have a good flow of horse mint available. It won't last long if it doesn't rain soon.

Any comments?

Fuzzybeekeeper

·
Registered
507 Posts
Fuzzy, Get a frame of fresh eggs in that hive quick. They will make queen cells out of it if the queen is gone. All those deeps and supers full of nectar is a TON of nectar. You're going to be swimming in honey but it sounds like your hive is honeybound with no place for the new queen to lay.

I agree with pulling frames and replacing with foundation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts