Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally put the second deep on our packages started the first of May...as the first one is roughly 7-8 frames drawn...Now as we're looking forward a few weeks, how do you inspect your colonies when you have two deeps ? How often do you go into the lower deep..? Any particular techniques which could make it easier ...?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Double deeps is just twice the work. Inspect as often as you want to prevent swarming and disease. If preventing swarming is your priority, inspect every 14 days. If a swarm queen matures you will have 60 percent less bees to inspect next time. Inspect every 21 days if you just want to make sure they are healthy and not overcrowded. I have double deeps on both my teaching hives, but inspecting is the focus for the next few workshops.

·
Registered
702 Posts
>>How often do you go into the lower deep<<
Queen will move up and lay more in the upper brood chamber, I wouldn't go in unless you sense
trouble, inspect in spring, with your first package you should not worry for swarming, second year
yes, I would leave them alone, feed, feed, until the second box is full of bees and drawn out, then
stop feeding, put on queen exluder, honey super and you should get some honey.

Konrad

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is a good thread for me to follow as well.
I have one hive with the second deep drawn out and the other with just two frames. Looked into the bottom boxes through the top but did not tear into it. Looks pretty intimidating. Pretty much packed with bees and welded together. The frames are tight up against each other so it should come apart alright. I have had a couple of queen mishaps and am concerned about rolling one.
I added a fresh super on the more built out one and removed the feeder. Topped off the feeder on the lesser built out one. Both have capped and uncapped brood in the upper boxes.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I usually smoke the top bars of the top deep. Then, I pull the box and set it off to the side...on it's side. If I want to really inspect the bottom deep, I'll pull it apart then. If not, I usually just slide it forward and tip it up to look at the bottom of the frames...clean the bottom board, etc. Then, it all goes back together again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ravenseye

Good tip on sideways except it won't work for me as I'm going foundationless..My plan is to put telescoping cover upside down and move the top onto it after smoking that way I hope to not loose the queen accidentally..Unless somebody else has a better trick...

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Your plan should work just fine. Put an inner cover or something on top of that super while you're checking the bottom. Helps keep the bees a little calmer!

·
Registered
185 Posts
according to the books....You should buy one, you put your telescoping cover on the ground upside down, then prop your inner cover wherever. then put the second/upper deep on the upside down cover. Inspect the bottom deep then put the second/upper deep back on the bottom deep and inspect it...works for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts