Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swept up all the dead bees 2 days ago. Below is a pic of how it looks now.

This has been going on for a month or more now. Before then I never had this many dead bees. This hive was started from a package last spring. It's my first year beekeeping, and I'm wondering if this is a seasonal thing or is my colony collapsing?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not normal. Normally the house bees will fly them away from the hive. I would guess you can also find them crawling and walking all over your yard.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Up here in the great white north, bees crawling around in front of the hive indicates a pretty good mite infestation.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Tracheal mite damage would have crawlers that form small clusters of bees all over the hive and surounding area. Lots of k winged bees.

Varroa would have crawlers with DWV.

Paralysis would have dead and dying bees all over the ground around the hive...many still twitching and kicking.

The bees in your photo are maybe too spread out for Tracheal. Do the bees come out...or are they dragged out and do they die right there where they lie?

Are you seeing DWV? You say this has been going on for a month or more? Varroa would have killed the colony by now I think...with that many bees dying.

Are the dying bees exiting the hive twitching and kicking?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Varroa would have crawlers with DWV.

Paralysis would have dead and dying bees all over the ground around the hive...many still twitching and kicking.

Are you seeing DWV? You say this has been going on for a month or more? Varroa would have killed the colony by now I think...with that many bees dying.

Are the dying bees exiting the hive twitching and kicking?
6 weeks at least this has been going on, and the pace has been accelerating. All I've ever noticed is that they'll be flying and then miss the landing board and hit the ground and start crawling around. I've seen some of them hopping and they obviously can't fly. I'm not sure what you mean by DWV. Their wings don't look deformed if that's what you mean.

2 weeks ago even though a lot were dieing like this the hive was still very active and I saw a lot of forgers coming back loaded with pollen. I have not been home much since then (working long & late hours) so I'm not sure what the "demeanor" of the hive is right now.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
DWV is deformed wing virus.

I have not been home much since then (working long & late hours) so I'm not sure what the "demeanor" of the hive is right now.

I would recommend making the time to look inside the hive to see what is going on. That should tell you far more than seeing dead bees on the ground outside the hive.

Don't be afraid to call your local bee inspector. Checking stuff like this is what they get paid to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you maybe getting pollen that is toxic to the bee's, do you know what is blooming right now near you, Oleander pollen is posinous to bee's not sure when it blooms, also california buckeye is posinous to bee's but that blooms around may:lookout:, have you examined the hive? what does the brood look like? any deformities in the larva? any malformed worker bee's?

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Not poisoning. This is the prelude to collapse. Check for varroa; have you done this?
Ditto, typical dieoff of the last few years, mites, DFW, lots here on the last few cold mornings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It looks to me that they could be poisoned... There could be some contaminated watter somewhere?
Someone washed of spraying equipment?
You know, most of the herbicides/pesticides taste sweet and actually attract bees.
Did you check if their tongues are sticking out?

Sorry for your bees man... and good luck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts