Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it foolish to consider starting a Nuc with 2 brood frames and a queen? Or is 3 frames neccessary?

My only goal is increase and not honey this year.

Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's how I did it. I used a 5 frame box and put a frame of bees a frame of food 2 frames of foundation a queen and a division board feeder and they are doing very nice this winter. NWC's in one deep one medium.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no food frames......... Can I just feed them HFCS and bee pro patties?

I am getting 30 frames of brood and it would be great to make 15 colonies of them......

With a good year do you think it is possible to sprilt the original 15 (with new queens) and make 30 hives to go into winter?? Again I am not interested in honey so the bees can have all their stores.

Thanks for responses

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I have HFCS 70 do you dilute it?? I read here somewhere to dilute it with 10% water by volume.

I would imagine boiling the water is important to kill off nasty stuff and make for faster mixing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Any of you guys know where to get sugar in something like 30 or 40 pund bags? Buying them one at a time is getting old.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The grocery stores here have 25 pound bags but cost per ounce (shown on the shelf) was actually higher than in 10 pound bags! I buy the 10's; easier to handle than a 25 anyway (I hate spilling sugar on the kitchen floor!). Might try Sam's Club also but they tend to have "name brands" instead of cheaper "store brands."

Lew

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I was selling jelly at the farmers market, the local grocery store ordered sugar for me in bulk. It came in a stack of 4# bags,, and lasted me the restof the summer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
go to your local school and talk with the kitchen administrator they will usualy order it for you in 50# bags and sell it to you at their price.

·
Registered
911 Posts
hey Ian when you said you make a one frame split how long does it take to build up to a double deep hive? you got me interested. thanks Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts