Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Im 3 years in now, with a couple of hives here in the southern UK.

Ive seen quite a few posts from our US friends, who always seem to use either 2 or 1 and a half brood boxes.

From what ive been told by more experienced beeks here in the UK, it appears to be more "normal" to have just a single brood box - but im not entirely sure why...

Can anyone advise why this may be?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In a word: climate.

In northern U.S., where winters are longer/colder, bees require more stores to get through winter, so 2 boxes are often used. In southern U.S., one box is common.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I can only answer for my own operation and others may do it differently. I use 2 deep brood boxes, sometimes a deep and a medium temporarily. We do it for 2 reasons: 1. the bees will swarm if the queen doesn't have room to lay; 2. we keep our hives full of bees to maximize honey production. In FL we have several short, but intense, flows with the periods in between flows still producing nectar and pollen, just not intense. We like year round strong hives. Mind you, I'm in this as a commercial endeavor, not a hobby. Strong, healthy hives make profits; mediocre hives cost time and part of the profit from the good ones. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts