Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a source to purchase a 2 13/16" Forstner Bit for making holes to fit feeder jars? I can find the 2 3/4" and 2 7/8", but I think 2 13/16" would be best.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
127 Posts
I cannot answer your question, but, could you make the hole a little bigger than the lid and put #8 wire on the bottom where the jar would set on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cannot answer your question, but, could you make the hole a little bigger than the lid and put #8 wire on the bottom where the jar would set on it?
Paul, wouldnt the screen create a space that the bees couldnt reach the actual recess of the lid? The lids arent flush with the screw on ring and it seems like the bees would have a hard time reaching the holes in the lid or are their tongues long enough to reach?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i put my feeders directly on the top bars(gallon containers) with good results. the less gear the better for me, as long as the results are the same. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input! Found the bit too.

Dimar Forstner Bit - 2-13/16"
Price: $17.77 Manufacturer: Dimar Canada Part No.: WPF-71
Add to Comparison Clipboard 6-1/4" (159mm) Length, 7/16" Hex (imagenot exactly as shown) Not all Forstner Bits are created equal. When you buy Dimar, you buy quality high carbon steel bits that are hardened, ground to size and designed to bore clean, flat, precise holes in a variety of woods. The next time you are offered a titanium (gold) plated bit, ask about the quality of steel and hardening. Once the plating has wore off, what's left?
6-1/4" (159mm) Length, 7/16" Hex (imagenot exactly as shown) Not all Forstner Bits are created equal. When you buy Dimar, you buy quality high carbon steel bits that are hardened, ground to size and designed to bore clean, flat, precise holes in a variety of woods. The next time you are offered a...
MORE... LESS...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Just remember, you want a snug fit, otherwise rainwater will run into your hive.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
wouldnt the screen create a space that the bees couldnt reach the actual recess of the lid?
No in my observation hive I have 2 holes with #8 wire that the jar lids sets on the the bees long tunge it :D

I do use flat plastic lids.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hey joe you can also use a adjustable circle cutter. you are right the hole size is 2 13/16 and i looked everywhere and couldnt find it. I was told that they didnt make that size in a hole saw. the adjustable circle works good. Take care David J

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I use a 2 3/4" bi-metal hole saw, drill from the top down, letting it wobble ever so slightly. Works great, jars fit nice and tight. The jars won't fit if you try to put them in through the bottom, so drill from the top down.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto Ray: I do exactly the same way with a 2-3/4" hole saw from the top side. Have 2-7/8 but the jars slip through too far and the top bars block the holes in 1/2" tops. I also had a 2-7/8" forstner that I chucked in the drill press and held a grinding stone against while turning and lubing with oil. Didnt need to take but a few thousandths off to fit the jar lid okay but the bit failed prematurely from thinning out the side cutters. Good to know the source for the correct forstner, thanks Joe.
You don't know a source for 125mm capillary tubes for the schley version harbo by any chance?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I hope you have a drill press to put that gator in. It will break your wrist if it catches, and will generate a pile of wood chips......I used a 2 inch fostner bit to make breather holes in some quilt boxes and I had a PILE of chips after doing 40 holes with a hand drill...Hang on..:)

==McBee7==

1 - 15 of 15 Posts