Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I went into my hive today to see if i could do the alcohol test on the girls...end of August I did CheckMite+ on them to treat for the varroa mites...some locals around here recommend a new thing thats out because its 97% kill rate compared to CheckMite which is 71%....first question: do y'all feel comfortable doing CheckMite+ for varroa mites? 2nd question: I opened the lid just now and 3 roaches came out of there...first time that's happened...what do i do?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Have a read of the link below.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The roaches are just looking for a warm place to hide out.

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a read of the link below.

So next year i wont be able to harvest the honey in the spring? Or maybe i do that later on but yeah i think the other stuff is Apivar, but im really curious if the honey tastes different/harmful for you when you CheckMite it...but thanks!

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Havent had time to read the whole article but is coumaphos harmful?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I was several years in when I realized that large bee supply companies will carry worthless and/or harmful items in their catalogs for sale to beekeepers. Kind of destroyed a naive image I had of the industry as a whole. Mite treatments with coumaphos or fluvalinate as their active ingredient have become unreliable due to mite resistance throughout most of the country. In addition to that, the amounts of those compounds still found in wax years after use are alarming.

·
Registered
Italian Bees
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info i'm just going to go ahead and get Apivar and make sure there treated for the varroa mites, and for future reference...use CheckMite+ strictly for SHB. I got 2 supers onto a deep box....and golden rod has took off around here, I have a feeling the 2nd box is going to be full in time for winter. The first super is already capped. Going to plant some crimson clover when it gets a little cooler maybe thatll help the girls out too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts