Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed 2 nucs 2 weeks ago today. At the time we couldn't spot either of the queens. Today we saw both of them. They were big Mamas! Not all of the frames are filled out, but the three that were in the middle had lots of capped brood and lots of bees. There was also cells that were capped off sugar water as we don't have many flowers blooming right now. We have been feeding quite a bit. There were some capped drone cells too. I'm so excited! We didn't really look for eggs because the bees were starting to get really loud and I think they weren't really happy about the intrusion. So far, so good. I think! Can you tell we are first time beeks?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, we didn't use the smoker. We removed the frame that was closest to us and sat it on the ground and it gave us enough room to pull one frame at at time. The longer we were in there, the louder they got! I think we will probably use the smoker the next time. BTW, I used a full bee suit. A few of them were head butting me towards the end! I think I really like this. Not the head butting,I mean bees.:) Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I think we are doing ok for now. Believe me, when I have questions I'll be asking you.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Allways use your smoke !Just a piece of advice.When you go in without a smoker I call that an intrusion,they don't like intruders and will get defensive.It also stresses them.Don't make it a habit.Not chewing your butt just educating.In a queen yard you use little smoke to none.:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good for you! Sounds like a great inspection! I have my Mom, in New England who caught the "bee flu" from me. She somehow ended up on the 'smoke is bad' thing.... Yep, it's a PITA to light it, make sure the smoke is cool, etc, etc... She kept going in to the hives with no smoker even lit. She was thinking the smoke made it easier on HER....bottom line, smoke makes it easier on the BEES! They don't alarm as highly, and don't react as badly. Kinda like a blood pressure pill for humans...use smoke for your bees. They'll appreciate it. Glad to hear your enthusiasm!! Keep up the good work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts