Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very hot today and I had to split off 4 Nuc's.

To be cooler I decided to wear only my bee coat with no shirt underneath...... Mistake!

The sweat caused the material to stick to my back and zap...... got nailed in the mid back.

Good news is no reaction at all. No swelling or soreness. I have been worried with all the talk of developing allergies to venom.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Got my first one on Wed while removing a swarm from an old schoolhouse. Hand swelled up pretty good and was sore for couple days. But that's the first sting in 10 or 11 years, (course I haven't had any bees for 9 years.lol.

peggjam

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BB, I think you are right........ she did look a bit like Ann Coulter. Certainly their brain sizes were simular.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
SD, BB, I'm not gonna sit silent and let y'all slam conservatives here. If you want to go a round or two I'm ready. If you want to talk bees then keep your ignorant liberal condecensions to yourselves.

Hawk

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If the cause is - because my commander in chief called me to service, be he a Bush or a Clinton, then yes I will give my life so you can continue to keep your bees. (yours are probably of some French strain).

I have been a national guardsman for 17 years. Over half the deployed US Army force is national guard and reserves. if you made that comment to me in person, you'd rather an AHB swarm caught you with your pants down.

·
Banned
922 Posts
Ignorance and stupidity hanging out all over the place on this one.

Sundance is a bedwetting liberal. I, on the other hand, am one of the conservative "right wing conspirators". We, in fun, pick at each other on a regular basis. In fun. Joking. Haha. Giggle giggle. Chuckle. Etcetera.

Know what is going on before spouting off, or take a Valium, or both.

BubbaBob

·
Banned
922 Posts
By the way, Ford Guy, here's a statistic you must be unaware of:

Deployed forces 156,236
Reserve/guard in that number approx 55,000

Not, as you said, half. Barely a third.

Research before spouting off is a wonderful thing.

BubbaBob

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Most of the stings I get barely leave a mark a few minutes later, but occasionally they swell and hurt for a week. Neither is an "allergic" reaction. Both are normal responses to venom depending on the location, the amount etc.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Rookie here
only been stung 4 times

on 2 occasions it was sting to the hand and was really not bad at all
hurt for 10 min
swole a bit for couple of hours
no big deal
another time I got 2 stings on my thumb about 1/4 inch apart
still didn't really hurt much
but the next day my whole hand sweld (how the heck do you spell that?) quite a bit and it itched like crazy for 2 days
Is that an allergic reaction or is it just a response to getting 2 stings so close together?
Anyway, I've started suiting up a little better and ain't getting stung no mo

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is an allergic reaction for sure. Did you gently scrape the stinger out right away?

You may want to be tested at the Dr.'s to see what degree it might be.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
<Anyway, I've started suiting up a little better and ain't getting stung no mo>

You and me both. Those bks who want to get stung can. I'm wearing gloves, veil, and suit.

Actually your response is called a sensitivity not an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is systemic. That means it's not just where the sting is. It affects your breathing, your thinking, you might even lose your breakfast. Those are dangerous. You don't need to see a doctor. You need to wear gloves and not get two stings at a time anymore.

Good Luck,

Hawk

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Hawk

I kinda lean your way
the sequence was

single sting - no big deal
2 stings - itched like crazy
single sting - no big deal

not like it's getting worse
I've been stung by everything that knows how in my life before I got interested in beekeeping and never had trouble
the time I had trouble, I was testing some gloves I had cut the fingertips out of so I could feel what I'm doing and they both got me right on the tip of the thumb.
I was holding a frame at the time so I couldn't brush em off or do much about it
Sundance, yea I did try to scrape em out properly after I set the frame down, but they had plenty of time to get me good.
I was just surprised at the itching the next day, worse than I've seen from other bee/wasp stings

Dave

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We all know that bees inject a venom. That's going to be something that's not healthy for humans. Gotta be. So if it just itches (Yes I know an itch can be very annoying), and it doesn't throb in pain, I think you should expect that much at least.

Some guys are built different and never even get a bad itch. That's just great for them. I intend to keep my hives and teach my students so that we never find out if we're immune.

Hawk

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to squabble over definitions but itching and swelling are an allergic reaction. Histamine production at a sight (swelling) is a direct result of this allergic reaction. "Sensitivity" is a very mild, but still an allergic reaction.

Quote from link below:

Insect bites can cause an allergic reaction. More people have allergic reactions to stinging insects than to biting insects.
Signs and Symptoms

* Red, swollen, warm lump or hives
* Itching, tenderness, pain
* Sores from scratching; can be infected
* Serious allergic reactions when symptoms spread (this is called anaphylaxis). These can include difficulty breathing, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, fever, muscle spasms, or loss of consciousness. Call for emergency medical help right away.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsConditions/InsectBitesandStingscc.html

Some with hayfever get the sniffles and a couple of sneezes. Other get totally plugged up, eyes running and itching. Both cases are having allergic reactions.

Granted his reaction is very mild and does not require a dash to the Dr. But if one has health insurance then it would make sense to request a test.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I beg to differ. I'm not wrong in this. Believe it or not, the University of Maryland Medical Center is. Call and ask em.

Hives is systemic. That would mean the body is reacting away from the site. That's an allergy. Swelling at the site is not a sign of an allergic reaction!!!!!

Itching, tenderness, pain are only signs of an allergy if they are away from the site of the sting. That makes it systemic. All the rest of your list are good.

Hawk

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Sundance,

I think technically your correct, swelling and itching would classify as an allergic reaction.
But it is a mild one.
It's academic to me, I'm a rookie and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun and I just don't want it spoiled.
I'm just gonna try not to be a pincushion

Got me some better gloves.

Dave

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Bubba Bob, re read my message - I wasn't talking about deployed forces, (which include navy, air force, marine) but Army forces.

Calling me stupid and ignorant was completely uncalled for. I don't expect your appreciation. I enlisted in the 80s when it wasn't cool to be patriotic, and only us poor kids were enlisting, and I am used to people like you making comments like the one you made about some people giving their lives for the cause. That's ok.

And you are wrong on your numbers...Here are the facts.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/terrorism/a/deploymentrates.htm

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Well BB, I apologize. I didn't realize that was a private ignorant liberal condecesion between you and Sundance. The fact that you(plural) put it on a public forum should not have offended any decent thinking loyal Americans, no matter how many friends and relatives they lost to the cause.

Some day I'll grow up and be able to listen to your stupidity without tatking offense.

Robert A. Hawkins

1 - 20 of 26 Posts