Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Thanks for all of your helpful responses to my first post regarding OAV. I did a 2nd treatment a couple of days ago. I’ve posted pictures of my bottom boards. It is supposed to be 47 in Michigan tomorrow, should I do a 3rd treatment?? I’m not sure how many more days I’ll get about 35.

The 2 photos are from the bigger of my 2 hives and had a big mite drop the first time. It’s definitely less mites than last time, but still quite a few! Ugh!!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello All,

Thanks for all of your helpful responses to my first post regarding OAV. I did a 2nd treatment a couple of days ago. I’ve posted pictures of my bottom boards. It is supposed to be 47 in Michigan tomorrow, should I do a 3rd treatment?? I’m not sure how many more days I’ll get about 35.

The 2 photos are from the bigger of my 2 hives and had a big mite drop the first time. It’s definitely less mites than last time, but still quite a few! Ugh!!

These photos are from my smaller, newer hive which did drop mites after the first OAV, but looks like dropped even more the second time!! Should I treat them again??

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello All,

Here is the original thread with 1st OAV photos.

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I would treat again, but I have a very low tolerance for mites. Better for the colony if they do not have a bunch of mites jump into the first rounds of brood in the spring.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
629 Posts
Personally I would ditch the 1 gram per deep right now also. The FDA has that limit for if you have honey for consumption. I see other really big bee keepers using 3 grams a deep right now. Personally I would go 4 with my bees. Kill ALL those mites.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would treat again, but I have a very low tolerance for mites. Better for the colony if they do not have a bunch of mites jump into the first rounds of brood in the spring.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I’ll hit them one more time again tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I would ditch the 1 gram per deep right now also. The FDA has that limit for if you have honey for consumption. I see other really big bee keepers using 3 grams a deep right now. Personally I would go 4 with my bees. Kill ALL those mites.
Ok, I might up the dose. One hive has 3 brood boxes and full super. The other has 2 brood and a super. All 8 frame, mediums. I’ve also put on winter patties.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
hah. Well OP thanks for following up with us here.

Looks like you got some fine input above.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok, I might up the dose. One hive has 3 brood boxes and full super. The other has 2 brood and a super. All 8 frame, mediums. I’ve also put on winter patties.
If you want to be experimental you could do some hives with the same dosage you've been doing and some with higher. Like the 2 stronger hives that higher mite drop - same dosage for one hive and higher dosage for the other.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
629 Posts
This is what I am going to do without honey on for human consumption. If you treat them 1 time like this when they are broodless , in theory you'll be done till spring. I am going to use 8 grams in the OCV this month. You might have to consider the fact you have already treated recently. All this is still experimental. And no the vaporizer shown is not perfected yet. I am thoroughly impressed with what this guy has come up with. Hes a vaporizing machine! But his is still expensive and awkward for the hobbiest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts