Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st try at a nuc. Found cabinet doors for $1 each. Will the finish on the cabinet doors be bad for bees?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Good job ! Looks fine to me. Finish on the wood on inside doesn't matter as long as there's been no insecticides sprayed on it. Just to make sure, wash it with water prior to use. Other then that, you're on your way..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Nice job, Ive been building the coates nucs with nothing but a skilsaw. They are working for me. only problem I see in your photo is the foundation.......lol...... I just started letting the bees draw foundationless this spring, and I dont think I will ever go back. You should try it on a few frames. Nice Job. G:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
That works! No worries on the finish. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job, Ive been building the coates nucs with nothing but a skilsaw. They are working for me. only problem I see in your photo is the foundation.......lol...... I just started letting the bees draw foundationless this spring, and I dont think I will ever go back. You should try it on a few frames. Nice Job. G:thumbsup:
Building another tonight. Might go with the foundationless as you suggest. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
in my experience furniture and cabinets are not made of exterior plywood. i would not expect it to last very long outdoors

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since you saved so much on the wood, you might consider spending some on some water sealant to seal the edges of the wood with. Dip/soak each edge for 2 minutes, then let it dry. Might improve the longevity significantly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts