This was a split I made in June with a new carniolan queen. It really never took off. I fed 2 to 1 but they would not take any. I found the queen at the reduced entrance hole. The bees at the upper entrance were frozen to the outside of the box.
Sorry 'bout your bees, mine are still hanging tough (1st year), but battled VM & SHB thru late summer, fall & early winter.
I had bearding so bad this summer, that I made some vent boxes that were 100% effective. I have the bottoms (left & right) closed off with PVC caps for winter as the weather dictates. This sits over a west beetle trap.
A smart man would have duplicated the bottom vent for the top, then I could have used PVC caps there as well - drilled the wrong size holes. Now I just have some slotted foam stuck in the top. My top vent also has an entrance, but I shut it down for SHB control.
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!