Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I peeked in on the bees this afternoon for the first time since cutting the comb out of the pumphouse and putting them in the hive. They are now starting to attach the comb a little better to the frames and remove the rubber bands. They haven't even begun to move up into the second hive body that I put on there w/frames/foundation. I did that as I had 10 frames of comb from the pumphouse and I didn't want them to be crowded.

I didn't see the queen but I did see some uncapped brood which is a good thing. :D Not very much though. :confused:

When I cut the comb out of the pumphouse, I gave them back the honey from the comb that didn't fit in the hive. I then gave them one quart of 2:1 syrup which they've almost finished. They're eating like they're just starving!!!

I'm a little worried about how much they have put away for winter...both pollen and honey. Late summer has been very hot and dry here in Oregon.

Should I keep them feed with 2:1 syrup at all times until spring? What about a pollen patties?

Also, I assume they will naturally move up into the next hive body. Should I try and rotate in some empty frames or just leave it up to them to do as they please?

I really appreciate all of your help and advice. I just want to make sure I get them through this first upcoming winter. Then I'll breathe a little easier.

Carla.

[ August 11, 2006, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: FlipFlopFarmer ]

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
"Should I keep them feed with 2:1 syrup at all times until spring? What about a pollen patties?"

As long as they take it, that would be fine. They will take some time to move into the second brood chamber, remember you have relocated them. More important than open brood, you should look for eggs, that will tell you if they have a queen. As it moves closer to Oct, I would increase the feed to 1:1 if they feel light. Put some dry sugar on top of newspaper set on top of the frames as colder weather moves in, this will help ensure that they have food they can get too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess to be more accurate, what I was looking at was larvae. Some were straight and others coiled into a "C" shape.

When I said 2:1 syrup. I meant 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.

I guess I don't understand the dry sugar thing. I assume you meant powdered sugar. Why would this be necessary? You mentioned to help insure they have food they can get to.

Carla

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
no carla he is talking about dry granulated suger poured directly into the hive body for emergency stores. as long as the bees have access to a water source they do the mixing. and it is an excellent stand by in regards to getting the bees thru the winter. but winter is not here yet.

until then keep feeding them syrup. 1 to 1 does a better job of stimulating the girls and 2-1 is typically recommended for stores. my recommendation for you is 1 to 1 if you expect a fall flow and 2 to 1 if you do not.

good luck....

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Yup, as above. I wouldn't sweat the pollen patties; watch the entrance for a while and see if they're bringing pollen in on their baskets. During the summer pollen should be plenty available for brood rearing. And there's plenty of time (with some babying) to get them hearty and ready for winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts