Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Saturday I opened up the split I made. The lady's were real nice and I found a nice and plump queen. I found some capped brood but no eggs or larve. The queen looks like she is ready to lay, so it should not be long before she starts. The queen and her sister which was put in the old hive were supposed to be laying queens. I plan on giving them a week or so before I check on them again. I also opened up the old hive whick seems to be in good order but when I opened up the brood box they got a little upset. It had been a while since I smoled them so I am assuming that was the reason they were so upset. I did not get a lot of stings in my glove or vail so that was good.

The old hive has a lot of honey stored now. I was not planning on harvesting honey this year but I my do a little and save some to feed this winter. Were I live in californa we do not have harsh winters and I see bee's out on good days, so I do not think I well have to feed much.

Next year I would like to start a top bare hive. I will use Mr. Bush's plans but I would like a screen bottom board. The ones I have on my hives seem to work extreemly well.
I asked at our local honey store if they had any top bar bevels or tappers and they did not know what I was talking about. But I could not explain in sufficent detail for them to know what I was looking for. I ended up buying a few top bars of unasseble frames and two shallow plastic foundation inserts. I cut them in half and stapled them to the top bars and placed thim in the supper I put on my new hive and we will see how it works. I might try next time to cut the shallow in 1/3s for starter strips. When they are stapled to the top bar they should be strong.

Owen

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sometimes when I have a piss-y hive with a lot of HONEY There is a Queen problem or queenless.
I would watch that 1.
Jack

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I might try next time to cut the shallow in 1/3s for starter strips. When they are stapled to the top bar they should be strong.

You'll have less problems if you either cut them 3/4" of an inch wide or use whole sheets. 1/3 they may start half way down the strip and it may collapse because it lets go at the top.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Hi Owen
I am not too familiar with your part of the country beewise but we do take bees out there south of you for almond pollination and they take LOTS of feed. They pretty much depend on us as they don't get anything much at all from November when we take them out til maybe a little end of February. Maybe someone more familiar can comment, but I would certainly count on having to feed if they don't go into winter fairly heavy.

TYou may see them flying but that doesn't mean they are bringing in any nectar. Even bees fly here in Wisconsin on nice days in January, not too much blooming then, lol.
Sheri

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi...I also live in the San Joaquin Valley....Last winter and spring was really bad for the bees where I live. We had rain probably 5 out of 7 days constantly, so a lot of the early pollen just got washed away. When the bees could get out, I saw them bringing back small amounts of pollen, since we live in town, something is usually blooming. I kept top feeders on all my hives with sugar solution and Bee Healthy added. REALLY HELPS!!! Plus I start to feed the booster patties from Mann Lake that gets the queens laying early. My biggest problem was some mold in the hives, from too much moisture!!! The more populated hives seemed to take care of it, the smaller ones had more troubles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts