Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This will be my second year beekeeping. I have two hive that I started from packages last year and they did well in there first year. Today I did my first inspection of the season and all looks well. They still have a few frames of capped honey and I found the queen and eggs in one hive and only eggs in the second hive. So there must be a queen there as well. Now my question, I want to split these two hives. I have two queens on order for April 15th. I want to stimulate brood production in these hive for when I split in April. I know feeding them will do this but should I start now? The temps are starting to go up to the mid 50's but the nights are around 30. During the day they are busy bringing stuff in, Not sure what pollen is available this time of the year but they are finding something. So, should I start feeding eventhou they have frames of capped honey?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought of something! there are not alot of bees, about the same amount as a 3lb package of bees. If the queen were to fill all the empty cells with eggs there would not be enough bees to care for them or keep them warm during the cold nights. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Not familiar with the blooms in you're area. But if you still have a lot of things to bloom you might not need to stimulate them.

It sounds like they are off to a good start, & you still have time before you get the queens.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
You are correct, they can only raise as much brood as there is bees to take care of them and as there are foragers to bring in nectar and pollen to feed the brood. This time of year, it's all about building up, and happens faster and faster as the weather warms and there are more bees from brood hatching.

Stored honey is like emergency feed, they'll want nectar and pollen to raise brood. You can stimulate brood rearing by feeding supplemental pollen and sugar/water syrup, if you choose to, and it sounds like the weather is warm enough to start if you like. I choose not to this year as there is plenty the bees are foraging on here without me feeding, and the brood clusters have been growing without me feeding for the last 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When using the top feeder the syrup temperature is what matters. If the syrup does not stay above 50*F, they probably will not take it. Sound like they have broke cluster and are out foraging. Good news!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts