Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hived our 2 packages on April 11th. Everything seemed to be going well from the outside so we didn't check them until yesterday. Everything seems to be going well. One hive which has plastic frames and foundation is 70% drawn out. Lots of honey and brood. I was a little concerned because they seemed a little aggressive. It was about 5pm and there was some weather moving in, which I wonder if that could be what the problem was. They seemed to have aggressive behavior towards my new shiny hive tool, first off. Then they made some aggressive flights towards my face. I was wearing vinyl gloves, because the big leather ones are so cumbersome. Not sure if they didn't like those but they were landing on my hands and I could feel a lot of vibrating when they did. I did get stung on the finger. I decided not to pull every frame out to inspect. Pulled one frame of honey to put in a second deep which we put on and then closed it up. I did open the entrance reducer to the next bigger size.

Went on to the next hive which is foundationless. They seemed much less aggressive. The one deep I have on is a little less than 50% drawn out. Honey, brood and pollen seen. Looked good so I disturbed them as little as possible also. Didn't change anything.

So, what was going on with the first hive? Was it the weather coming in? Time of day? My movements? Sensed my nervousness since this was my first inspection. Sensed my husband's extreme nervousness, even though he was back away from the hive a little and taking pictures? The blue vinyl gloves??

I have pictures and will post the link as soon as I get my Picasso to open :eek:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well, sounds like everything is good to me. Come open mine when its cloudy and windy and/or just cloudy and watch what happens to you. The dont like it, so I avoid it. Each hive will have its own habits. so thats why its nice to have 2 hives. You can contrast each one! Congrats!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I hate wearing leather gauntlet gloves for the same reason everyone else does. Sometimes I start out that way to see how their acting, but the only time I've been stung on the finger was when I wore my dark construction gloves - stupid me. Altho I have some nitrite gloves for handling mite-away II pads, I'm skeptacle about their sting-proof-ness (or any vinyl glove like that - maybe the white ones) They just don't like dark colors.

I've handled comb much more bare-handed than any way else and never have been stung on the hand. Some recommend smoking your hands prior, which I'll probably do after the next finger-sting I get.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought about smoking my hands. I will try that next time... as well as making sure the weather is optimum just so I will know how their temperament is in the best of conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts