Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 1st call about bees that are frequenting a swimmimg pool. Owner says(thinks) they are flying in and out of a small hole under the cover/deck to get water. I am waiting on pictures from him to see myself(he is over an hour away from me). I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like they are a swarm under his pool/deck area. Seems like they are doing their business and then flying to their hive???? What is the best plan of action in this situation since it seems like they are not looking for a home but the number of bees around at one time is MANY(owner said about 100 at a time). I told him to walk his property and look for a cluster hanging from branches, etc... Would it make sense to set out a swarm trap with a frame of drawn and some LGO or is there no way of collecting these bees? I would really like to get bees if possible but not waste time on bees that won't,"cooperate." Wish this 1st call would have been a tree branch shaker!! Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got my 1st call about bees that are frequenting a swimmimg pool. Owner says(thinks) they are flying in and out of a small hole under the cover/deck to get water. I am waiting on pictures from him to see myself(he is over an hour away from me). I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like they are a swarm under his pool/deck area. Seems like they are doing their business and then flying to their hive???? What is the best plan of action in this situation since it seems like they are not looking for a home but the number of bees around at one time is MANY(owner said about 100 at a time). I told him to walk his property and look for a cluster hanging from branches, etc... Would it make sense to set out a swarm trap with a frame of drawn and some LGO or is there no way of collecting these bees? I would really like to get bees if possible but not waste time on bees that won't,"cooperate." Wish this 1st call would have been a tree branch shaker!! Thanks, juzzer
My bees do this all the time, even though they have their own pond and water feeders. They also frequent my neighbors' pools as well. They may be in a tree or in a neighbors back yard in their own hive. Unless he can narrow down your search you may have a difficult time finding where they live. And even then they may belong to someone already. Unless they know where they are coming from, I wouldn't make the trip.
They can watch the bees when they leave the pool area. They will most likely fly off and return from the same direction.
In order to somewhat control my bees use of the pool, I put a piece of cloth over the edge of the pool that wicks the water. The bees will use that instead of the steps etc. I just put the cloth away from the active parts of the pool.

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
What you are describing sounds like a trapout or cutout (once the actual hive is located), not a swarm call.

What if after driving an hour, the hive is actually on a neighboring property?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still waiting on pictures or a video from the owner. I am hoping that maybe they are indeed living under a deck and not just getting the pool water and leaving.
If in fact I discover that they are around in a swarm or starting to take up residence there, would it be worth while to leave a swarm trap there in hopes I could encourage them to to move into the trap instead? Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a video from the owner. It looks like they are indeed flying down a small hole and into the concrete area around/under the pool. If when I look first hand, and I see a hive established with comb is the next step to cut it out/off and place it in a box with frames?

I am not sure what a trap out is, but is this the case for one if I can't access the area they are flying down into. If a trap out is what should be done, anyone have a good web link to quickly learn how to do that and what I would need? I brought a deep with frames and my gear with me in case I needed to make the drive after work. Planning on driving to the owners place in about 3 hours. This swarm stuff is sort of fun but can be a bit stressing and rushed feeling!!! It's worth it though. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
post the video here so we can see, maybe then we can give you a better idea. I wouldn't drive an hr one way to shake bees off a branch, let alone for a possible cutout/trapout.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I decided to make the drive from work. No bees for me. They were just collecting the water and flying back home. Watched their flight path for 200 yards to find them arriving happily at 1 of 4 hives in someone's bee yard. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for my "load of hay in May" !! C'mon swarms!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
This would most likely be a cut out, removeing as much of the comb and brood and honey. If not done this way, the honey and brood will rot and to me it is worse then a dead rat.
A trap out will not remove the comb, so that would not work.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A trap out will not remove the comb, so that would not work.
Although I determined the bees were from a person's bee yard, I appreciate your knowledge. With that said, why then do people do trap outs if they know they will be leaving comb and honey in the location ultimately making a mess and a stink? Thanks, juzzer

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Trapouts harvest the bees, which is why people do them. The honey from a trapped out hive possibly may be removed via other bees robbing the honey. However, the wax comb is still going to be there.

If you are contemplating trapouts in the future, send an email to Cleo Hogan and request a copy of his Trapout Guide. See post #3 in this thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?265612-trap-out

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Although I determined the bees were from a person's bee yard, I appreciate your knowledge. With that said, why then do people do trap outs if they know they will be leaving comb and honey in the location ultimately making a mess and a stink? Thanks, juzzer

once they are all out, they no longer associate the old hive as being their hive, and you can remove the cone and they will rob the honey out and put it in their new hive. You still leave comb but it will be clean as a whistle and not near as bad as having a wall full of honey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts