Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a "guest" bee suit for the occasional visitor who wants to look at my bees. My own suit is the Dadant V01180XL model for $78.50 ($100 after tax and shipping), and that's a bit too much to spend for a guest suit that might only be used 3-4 times/year.

So I searched ebay for "bee suit" and there's one on ebay for $12.72 (with free shipping). I don't have link posting privileges yet, but if you search, you'll see it. I bought one.

This is probably too good to be true, but I'm only risking $13, so I figure I have little to lose. Of course I will try this on myself before "testing" it on a guest :D

It ships directly from China, so it'll probably take 2-3 weeks to arrive, but when it does I'll let everyone know if it's any good. Or if I don't let everyone know, it means it didn't work and I'm in the hospital recovering from anaphylaxis.

Has anyone else here bought a ridiculously inexpensive suit that actually worked well? If my 10-yr-old can get over his fear I might want to get him involved as well, but I don't want to spend $100 on a suit, have him wear it once, and then decide that he's no longer interested.:roll eyes:

I wish I had beekeeper neighbors from whom I could borrow one!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
We've gone as cheap as $30 for cloth painter's overalls plus a $13 veil over a pith helmet we already had. But the overalls needed a few hours of work with a needle, thread, and Velcro to make them convenient to close up.

We recently bought two yards of mosquito netting for about $10, so it ought to be possible to make a veil for a couple of bucks.

Let us know how that turns out. $13 sounds like it could cover disposable painter's overalls plus maybe a very simple veil. That might be good enough for an occasional guest, and would probably last for a number of wearings.

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protective-...770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecf948d12

I don't think that any Beesource members are restricted from posting links in the "normal" forums. From what I see, attachments (i.e. photos) in the Welcome Forum need moderator approval, but that applies to 'experienced' members as well, AFAIK.

As far as the $13 jacket goes, note that it appears to be a 'pull-over' style and does not have a zipper except for the veil. Also, its a "one size fits all" deal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought this one off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Large-Beekeeping-Bee-Keeping-Suit-Jacket-Pull-Over-Smock-with-Veil-/191082744065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7d6b4901

When I bought it, it was only 20.00 at that time, it's gone up a few dollars since then. It's domestically shipped took maybe 3 days to get here if memory serves me correctly. It does fine. Our bees are very gentle but I've been buzzed and they've bumped the veil and other parts of it.

We also have an expensive full Dadant suit, I like this one, I will just wear jeans and this, with some gloves if I'm worried that day. I sometimes just wear some dewalt safety goggles for my eyes and nothing else for protective gear. It does feel lighter and cheaper made than the Dadant suit however.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was at club meeting recently and someone was wearing something pretty much identical to this. The material was really thin ... thinner than a bad set of sheets ... almost like sheers that you hang behind heavy curtains. The construction was fairly sloppy and the guy wearing it fiddled with the hat the entire time as it didn't sit quite right on his head.

When I have a guest, I let them use *my* suit (a very nice breathable) while I take the lesser quality gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea the cheapie off of ebay I got is definitely quite thin, so whether or not it actually would do anything over having nothing at all is anyone's guess. If I had guests I would put them in the Dadant and not this one.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have both of those bee suites off ebay. And they are my only bee suits. Yes they are thin, but I've only been stung once through it when I got a girl in the crook of my arm and closed in on her. In spring, I prefer the one that is not vented around the back of the neck as I'm scared they will zap me through the mesh. But it was so hot last July and Aug, that I will be using the other one during those super hot months.

As far as an inexpensive suit for guests, Tyvek coveralls in the paint dept of Home Depot work great. Just hot as the dickens in summer. There are some cheap veils that would complete the outfit on ebay. I've also made one with a floppy hat and tulle netting from the fabric dept at walmart.

Just as a disclaimer, I only run top bar hives, no smoke, so my girls may behave differently than a Lang.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to kind of position the veil / cap thingy as one poster said he noticed the guy at the bee meeting doing. It doesn't fit like the expensive suit but it wasn't expensive either. I know what you mean about the mesh at the rear of your neck. Ours just kind of bump and buzz you a little then they get over it rather quickly. If I didn't take any time to try to center the thing then the mesh would be right up against the back of my neck so I might as well not have it on. Within 15 minutes in either one I'm soaking in this Florida heat.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea the cheapie off of ebay I got is definitely quite thin, so whether or not it actually would do anything over having nothing at all is anyone's guess. If I had guests I would put them in the Dadant and not this one.
I agree that would be the better thing to do, but I'm 6'1", wearing an XL suit, and the one particular guest I'm thinking of is 5'9".

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought a glory bee jacket for $27.00 this past spring. It is cheaply made but does what I need it to do for quick inspections

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ya I have one also but just up graded to a better jacket one getting tired of getting a sting now and again . I never had any problem with the smock since I wear a cap and let the smock hat set on the cap . But is super thin its really just a veil in my eyes .

I would never put a guest in a smock one .

·
Registered
80 Posts
check out this seller on eBay (1884simon) for the price of a jacket I got the full suit.
I could not believe the quality it is when it arrived today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well this seller has multiple types of suits which one did you buy? The ones I see are 40+ then you pay shipping of 13.00 from UK, the price of the jacket I got was 20 bucks that included shipping this would be 40 more than the price of just a jacket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
cheapest jacket I found (locally) was 45 I got the full coverall suit for 55.15
it is good material not the sheer curtain type .

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have seen hooded jackets for under $50 bucks. I have also got the Tyvek coveralls from Kelley for about $15 bucks, but it will need a veil. It is thin and probably will do the job if you got it extra baggy (being extra big will also prevent it from ripping, since it is thin). After getting the Tyvek, I went ahead and got a better (much more expensive) full vented suit for myself. Kept the Tyvek for a guest suit (had an extra hat & veil). You do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
At that price who cares when guests come to visit let them wear your good one and ou can deal with the cheaper one. The few times I've had guests I gave them my jacket and gloves and I went in with a tulle veil over a ball cap and a t-shirt . Them seeing you go in " commando" as one guest called it really puts them at ease since they feel like they are dressed for war.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really like the Tyvek suit I got from Kelly. It does the job. Yes, it's hot, but I have only two hives. I do want to get a cotton one, though. Next on my purchase list.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It ships directly from China, so it'll probably take 2-3 weeks to arrive, but when it does I'll let everyone know if it's any good. Or if I don't let everyone know, it means it didn't work and I'm in the hospital recovering from anaphylaxis.
Sorry for the late update, but I received this in the mail on June 13, which is exactly one week from my order date, and much faster than I had expected:

IMG_3882.jpg

The veil sits correctly on top of my (largish) head, and I didn't have any trouble keeping it centered or away from my face.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it really is paper thin. Like tissue paper thin. I've worn it twice, and the first time I got stung right through the sleeve, on the back of my arm. The second time I wore it I go no stings, but I'm sure anyone tried to sting me. I did have a few moments when the bees were flying at my face, and the veil did its job just fine.

It's also a bit too small for me (6'1", 44L, 210#) but that's not really a fault of the suit, and I think it would fit lots of smaller people just fine.

I'm going to try wearing it a few more times and see if I get comfortable with it. It is a lot easier to get on/off than my full Dadant suit, and it's a tiny bit cooler (though with my Dadant suit I can wear shorts underneath).

As with many things, you get (no more than) what you pay for. Is this worth $13? Probably. Should I have spent more? Probably. I might look into some of the other ebay suits mentioned in this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts