Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really a 101 question, I think. I just brought home and installed two bee packages yesterday, my first bees. They are flying all over the place, in and out of the hives and all around them.

Is this normal...?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yep they're orienting themselves to their new home.

I moved to Maine three years ago and I'm still orienting myself. (Driving around in circles, trying to figure out where I am.)

Wayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you--I thought I might have done something wrong! I worried about them all last night.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine were like that. Initially flying all over the place and then settled in the hive but in the morning flooded out and were plastered all over the front of the hive and flying about but eventually calmed and got down to business. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it does make sense and I appreciate the responses. :) They are very loud, I just didn't expect that and the flying around--but I am enjoying watching them. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Their tone is a good indication of mood too. If they stay, you'll eventually be able to read them by their pitch.
I like passing by and listening to them hum at night. Sounds like an air conditioner.
During the first few minutes of inspections, mine get pretty loud but, eventually calm down and let me hang out with them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The activity seems to have toned down a bit, although there were various points in the day that there were quite a few bees buzzing around again. I went out and checked, they had emptied the syrup. I refilled the feeders and the activity seemed to be toned down again a bit later. Checked both queen cages, they are both out. I actually thought I might have seen her land and go back in the hive while I was out peering at them (they are a lot of fun to watch).

Lots to learn, thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts