Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hives seem to ventilate well but should I set up some shade for them this weekend. I was thinking of leaning some plywood against them. Also, I wanted to inspect this weekend. Is it a problem to inspect when it is too hot? I have only read not to inspect when it's too cold.
If I staple some # 8 hardware cloth to the hole in the inner cover, can I remove the telescoping cover completely? Any other hot weather concerns?
Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use sbb. Air flow isn't really a problem. I was more concerned with the radiant heating of the wood itself.

Brian

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't had a problem working hives when it's hot. I also use screened bottom boards. When it gets HOT I prop the telescoping cover up with a small block of wood at the back of the hive. Down here that hot weather is usually accompanied by fast moving thunder storms so I don't remove the covers. If the hive is weak or a recent swarm capture I'll block the hole in the inner cover with #8 hardware cloth.....helps them with hive defense. JMO

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you lean plywood right aghainst the hive it may knock them over if you get a little wind.the bees may be a bit testy if it is hot.but i find i get very hot in the bees suit.It is going to get hot here tomarrow i plan on propping some of my strong hives open just a bit.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
We have 100 degree days all the time here. The bees can handle it. If you have new comb that is not fully attached, you need to be careful handling it, but otherwise, no problem inspecting. We run mostly migratory tops here and I usually prop them up with a stick about 1/4" or so. Good ventilation and a water source is all that is required for the bees to be happy. You'll probably see them bringing in water to cool the hive if there isn't a nectar flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts