Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a frame need to be 100% capped before you harvest, or do you let it go if it has just a few uncapped cells? I pulled one that has *maybe* 40-50 uncapped cells out of the frame, and I don't want to take the honey if that's enough to ferment it. Although, I doubt it would last long enough to have a chance...

·
Registered
970 Posts
If the honey flow is still going good the moisture will be higher but if the flow has been over a few days if it is only half sealed it will be ok to harvest because no new nectar is coming in every thing will more than likely is ripened also bees after a flow is over they will use the unripened nectar before getting in the capped honey.

If it is going to be eaten kinda quick you will be ok.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm. Not over by a long shot, since the goldenrod just started and I haven't even seen the asters yet. But I'll take a chance, I think. I'm turning into a fiend. I may be part bear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. I ended up doing sort of a crush and strain, where I cut around the uncapped cells with a rubber spatula and just took the capped ones. Mashed that up and strained it through a piece of cheese cloth. It's still full of pollen, but that's okay, I gots allergies. I only did the equivalent of one side of a frame and got about 20 oz. I put that into three jam jars and I'll see what's up tomorrow. It's so humid here that I didn't want to leave it out to settle in the open, and honestly, I don't care about pollen and no one who gets my honey is allowed to, either.

So now I have these jars of pretty, golden honey, and me on a wheat-free diet. Rice toast just doesn't cut it. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure I have some in my hair from licking the bowl clean. Oats for breakfast tomorrow, you betcha!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ask and ye shall receive.

It looks like jam. But it tastes like heaven. Not to cap on jam, of course. I do love me some jam.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, what a difference if you don't get pollen mixed in!

The flavor is much different, too. Lighter.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I find that anything above 50% capped is OK for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts