Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out to be just a cutout without anything special going on. Started around 7:30. But by almost 11:00AM I new I was in trouble. Had vacuumed bees continuously. Drilled a hole and all hell broke loose and the ceiling turned black. Sometime later after vacuuming I decided I needed to see how much far the comb went. Drilled 3 more holes and it was hell 3 times over!!!! Vacuumed a good while longer and then decided I needed to fish or cut bait.

Smoked the girls and them cut the wood ceiling open. There were 18 rows of comb ranging from 4 or 5" long to over 3' long. Vacuumed a good while long and then started the cutout. Honey all over me and ticked off girls is not a pretty site. Especially since I am soaked also in sweat because it's 97 degrees and I am in a small area that doesn't get any of the breeze.

I had to take everything over a banister. Bottom of banister was about 3 feet off the ground. Bees were really getting hot so I had to quit and take off my suit and hosed it down. Home owner threw it in the dryer to knock off most of the moisture. During the cutout I took a piece of plywood and cutout sections of brood and carried them back to the front yard to put into frames and rubberband. Bees everywhere. Robber bees everywhere.

Thought I was finished up so I went to take the top off the robovac so that I could add the box of brood to the top of the robovac, seal it back down and then pull the screen between the two boxes.

Well I dropped the robovac trying to get over the railing. I am sure there was at least 50,000 bees. When I pried open the top of the shim between the bottom box and where I was going to put the box of brood the shim came loose from the bottom box. Man the angry bees. They chased me down the street for at least a 1/4 mile and I still had to kill some of them.

Finally got back up to the house and my truck. I had already taken quite a few hits during the day and running down the street. Squated down and said "I would just as soon the darn bee sting me, die and get it over with. About that time I pull down the viel and a bunch of the girls got me.

This time I ran the other direction for at least the same distance, stopping only to defend myself. Took about 4 hits to the head on the initial run. Coming back they started after me again. I stripped off my suit and shirt to get the scent of the honey, sweat, etc away from me. Worked some as the bees were after my suit. But I couldn't get any further back to the home and my truck.

Finally ran in the back yard of someone's house (at their urging) pulled off my shoes and took out anything in my pockets and jumped in the poo. Stayed in the pool for a while and "washed" my hair to get any scent of honey, etc. But 1 girl would not leave. She kept coming back and checking out my shoes (didn't wear them in the pool). As I got out the owner hosed down my shoes for me.

While this was going on the home owner where I was working had taken my suit and washed and dried it for me.

Finally made a run for my truck. Pulled off all of my clothes and put on a spare pair of shorts and t-shirt but didn't have and underwear. No biggie!

Got my suit and then I got determined and went to town. Taped down the shim on the robovac and added the box of brood and resealed the robovac.

By now there must have been 10,000 bees at the cutout and flying around the yard. Took my shopvac without the robovac and just sucked up the pesky vermin enjoying every second knowing that I was killing off these mean little girls and saving a neighborhood.

Finally got every thing loaded up and got home after 8PM that night. Exhausted and could hardly stand up. Couldn't tell you how many quarts of gatorade and water I drank.

Oh yeah, sometime after 2 PM the bees started swarming and finally landed on the gutter not far from the cutout. Became quite large. I smiled knowingly because know I knew where the queen was located. When I looked near the end I noticed that most of the bees had left. Guess the queen glided off but I never saw any more huge area of bees away from the house.

Brought home almost a 5 gallon bucket of comb/honey.

Got a call this morning around 6:30 from the owner. Bees were still there in a huge amount. Got up and got my suit dried (washed it before going to bed). Took some DE and a dry sprayer with me. Sprayed DE on everything. Must have been one clump of bees at the cutout that would have been at least 3000 bees. Got them and plenty of others.

But the bees were still there in a huge amount. (Robbers). Took a gas leaf blower and blew the DE all up in the air to saturate everything and all flying bees. Still had a lot of "clean, not covered with DE" bees. Washed down the cutout and area below it. Had a can of wasp spray. Emptied it on the cutout and the bees would not land. Have no idea how long it took the bees to tell the others back at their hives that the free honey lunch was over. I just wanted to get back home.

This really was a 2 man job. But I did it. Put the 2 boxes of bees on a screen BB in my yard and cleaned up everything I could.

Gotta leave now after I shower. An aunt of mine died yesterday and we need to get back to SC for the funeral.

Enjoy the story? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
WOW......where are the pics?
and you beat me to it

·
Registered
114 Posts
I notice that the combs are built in about a 45degree angle to the house.
A great opportunity to observe the bees natural preference?
They were very particular about which direction to build their combs.
Is it North and south or something else?

TIA, Nice Job !

BM

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great story and pics !! Sorry you took so many hits - ouch....

·
Registered
583 Posts
now that's funny....lol drop a lid on top of my hive talk about how quick they respond mass bees on me before i could get the smoker off the ground...stood still and smoked my self for a good 5 min

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice!!!!Thanks for the pics. Must have been there a long time. Might be some good genes in there.
Great story,,,,,,,,,,,could have left the part about the underwear out though:eek: Gotta go mix some drinks get that image outa my head:D
Rick SoMd

·
Registered
533 Posts
"Took my shopvac without the robovac and just sucked up the pesky vermin enjoying every second knowing that I was killing off these mean little girls and saving a neighborhood."

Did this neighborhood need saving before You got there??

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm really sorry you got stung so many times and had trouble with the cutout. You tell a great story though. The pool image is stuck in my head and I'm laughing.

Feel better soon.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
746 Posts
Free bees.........................yeah right, those were priceless:lpf:

Hope you are feeling better after taking that many stings and heat. Sounds like you had a good customer and neighbor for the job to help you out in a time of need.

Be safe in your travels and sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the replies and condolance.

I brought home at least 50,000 bees plus the cutout brood. Remember I said there was way over 100,000 bees. I could have brought home 75,000 I just don't know. I also don't know how many got out of the hive on the robovac. It was only a few seconds a couple of times. But think of it. 1 high box packed with bees. There is no telling how many came out.

Now you add the bees that I didn't get to vacuum out because I was so tired and add robber bees that came from all directions. That's a lot of unhappy girls flying around and looking for something to sting/protect.

Wish I could have vacuumed more but I could hardly walk and breathe much less continue the process of collecting bees. I didn't have another robovac and box to put on the robovac. There was no way I was going to open up the hose entrances to hook the robovac back to my shop vac and let out even more bees.

So yes, I took the "high road" and enjoyed killing all of those girls I could vacuum up in my shop vac. Between the stings, heat, running, cutout, climbing that darn banister more times than I can count, and my shoulder feeling like it was going to fall off I was glad to do anything I could to get the bees removed and go home.

By the way, I was also so weak. Gatorade and water only go so far from 7:30AM to 8:00PM. I was given 2 pieces of pizza by my customer sometime during the day. That's all of the food I had consumed until I got home around 9:00PM.

I am still tired and somewhat weak.

Oh yeah................got a $400 check before I left that night. At $400 he still got a whale of a deal.

The customer and his neighbors were very nice. Pretty ritzy (sp) area.

Some of the times I have had cutouts that were at an angle. Need to look at all of the different cutout pics. As for their orientation to North and South I don't know. But I will look up the house on Google's satilite view and get back later.

I don't think the bees had been there very long. There was no dark comb. Just light brown to pure white.

Oh, I almost forgot. How many guys would think to try and call their wife during all of this time when their phone was on a lawn chair in the middle of all of the bees and all I wanted to do was dodge bees? Course at the time, my wife wasn't understanding when I finally got to call her on the house owner's phone.

If you like my funny, but truthful stories, search under my threads started to find the story where I went to AR last fall to get beehives for other members of our bee association.

Gotta go to bed. It's 12:30 ET.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ROFL!! :lpf:

I got into a big hive a few weeks back myself, but that was a few weeks back, before the dearth set in... and I still took a few dozen stings... tackling a cutout during a dearth, man that just seems like a setup for torture.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That is exactly why I don't do cutouts. One thing I have noticed with the robovac, is that the bees don't like to move up into the frames, with the shopvac running. They will pile up in the bottom, until the smoother each other. I turn off the vac, from time to time, and they move up. I have done a couple of small jobs with it, plus collected a couple of swarms with it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
jumped in the poo.
I'm just curious, but does that work in getting rid of bees? It'd definately make a lot of people leave ya alone! :rolleyes:
Dealt with a similar situation, but without the stings or poo.;) I opened up a wall section of wall was 7' long and socked full of comb. These ladies have been there for years! I'm done with that section of wall, but I think they might also be in another section. I've taken the colony, but still see some bees here and there, so now I am waiting to see if the colony recovers from what I stole, so I know if they've expanded like I suspect they have. I didn't want to just start ripping into more of the house on a "hunch".

C2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like a war battle.:eek: I do cutouts as part of my business. I made my own beevac. I did not like any on the market. My unit is self contained and I use extra boxes to hold bees. As anyone knows, cutouts are not to be taken lightly. I wear a full bee suit that has elastic wrists and ankles. I also use leather work gloves that have elastic cuffs sewed on.
That being said, I rather enjoy doing cutouts. Hey we all have our strange likes.;) Its a tuff job------but somebody has to do it. Dave:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts