Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possibly to split a healthy 10 frame hive into two nucs? And then face them at each other and for the queenlees use queen cell cups and grafting?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is it possibly to split a healthy 10 frame hive into two nucs? And then face them at each other and for the queenlees use queen cell cups and grafting?
I second what Riverderwent had to say. However it is making me wonder exactly why you would want to use the queenless section to do grafting queen rearing with it. Have you other hives that need queens, planning to graft and sell queens, or just wanting to expand and have two hives. If it is the latter of the choices all you have to do is make sure there are frames with eggs/larva in your split without the queen and they will raise their own. Just make sure you feed them while in the process or that there is a flow on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for your replies, much appreciated. I was thinking of using extra queens to do more hives so they don't have to make there own and I would like to use Russian queen in the other saskatras hives. But maybe I might do that later and do 1 thing at a time for now and see how my first split goes first, im totally new at this and don't want to lose a hive. I was told elsewhere that I could not do this at all...lol You guys are awesome thanks again

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just posted a question to see if I could split a 7 frame hive. I'm glad that I saw this last reply from MB. Now I've got a better idea of the strength of the hives I should split.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done two 10 frame splits and on both of them the bees have removed the larva from the queen cups.
I had wax cups and half plastic cups the larva were from 3-4 days old some maybe slightly older.

Anybody know why the bees have removed the larva???

I have one frame now with the bottom of the foundation cut into triangles about an 1 1/2 from the bottom as I read this a few time that they will create a queen on the bottom triangle portions as thats what there used to and uppers our for swarm queens.

What and where am I going wrong?

Thank You So Much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts