Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, everyone!

The weather forecast for the next week or so here in the Pacific Northwest is mid 50's temps with intermittent rain. It's 10 days after installation - Is it too cold to open the hives to make sure everything's tickety-boo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,979 Posts
If you had a still day with some sun it wouldn't be too bad. Just don't spend too much time in there. In and out. Check for signs of a laying queen and ensure the comb isn't crossed. Should be really quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, shannonswyatt! Hopefully the sun will break through at some point, and the air will be still. Everything looks ok as far as i can tell through the observation windows, but that's such a frustratingly obstructed view, what with all the bees in the way. :)

This has all been so thrilling. I can barely contain myself! I'm loving it so much more than i expected to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
If bees are flying, it's usually okay to be in the hive for at least a few minutes. In our area you have to do some beekeeping with temps in the 50's. One of the reasons that I use a jacket with a zip-on veil most of the time is because I would need a jacket anyway (in the summer I just use a veil). They will be meaner, but with a weak/new hive that usually isn't an issue. If it isn't raining and bees are flying, go ahead and at least see what they are doing. If the wind starts blowing, just be in there a few minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, beedeetee, and thank you! The view through the observation windows this morning revealed that their syrup is perilously low. So at the very least, that's on the action list for the next sun break today (knock wood, we'll have a sun-break today). Meanwhile, if the 10 day inspection turns into an 11 day inspection, i guess that's not such a horrible thing. Though i'm chomping at the bit! I can't wait to get a better look at all that comb! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
Good morning, everyone!

The weather forecast for the next week or so here in the Pacific Northwest is mid 50's temps with intermittent rain. It's 10 days after installation - Is it too cold to open the hives to make sure everything's tickety-boo?
Do you know what tickety-boo looks like? What are you going to do if it doesn't? What's the need?

Do what you need to do when you can, not when you want to. Mid 50s is fine. Just don't leave uncapped brood outside of the hive for an extended period, 5 or 10 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Sqkcrk - At this point, i was going to focus on straight comb and evidence of a laying queen. Care was taken to level the hives from side to side, so hopefully, the beautiful white comb i saw developing on day three (and that i'm watching expand through the observation windows) will be perfectly straight. If it's not, it will be a challenge because it's my understanding from reading here and elsewhere that the new comb is as soft as butter. We shall see!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,542 Posts
Well, that makes sense. What I wrote before about doing things when you can still applies.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top