Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have 2 supers on my best hives (Eastern Long Island), so it seems like my bees are way behind yours.
What's wrong with putting it on now? If it's drawn comb I top super most times. If it's undrawn I bottom super so they draw it out fast.
Better to have to many supers on than to few.

Sounds like you got a honey maker there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tx Clyderoad - These are some tough bees. The existing 3 medium supers are fully drawn and my new super is not. I'm going to take your advice and put it on with an excluder. These darn bees are making comb everywhere its not supposed to be, every time I check the hive it turns into a dramatic event destroying bridge comb that is FULL of larve. I'm really torn about leaving it but there is so much of it that I fear if I leave it things will really be messy in the future.

Maybe offering a 4th super that needs to be drawn out will give them a job to do - draw comb on the new frames vs. bridge....

Tx for the comment!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
gman--I did not recommend an excluder. It causes problems if you haven't used one before.
Since the new super is undrawn I would bottom super. Place it just above the top most brood box and then put supers with honey on top of that. The brood nest is probably in the lower two, but check to be sure.
With 3 mediums it's likely all three boxes have brood in them. In this case take a couple or a few of mostly honey frames from the top most box and put them in the new undrawn medium in the middle of the box and fill out with undrawn frames. In the open space you made in the top box put in the left over new frames. Take the new medium with the honey frames in the middle and put it on top. They'll draw it pretty fast.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You nailed it! I can't tell where the brood box is! Seems to be everywhere! which is a bit frustrating. Your right, never used an excluder. I was attracted by its promise to keep brood out of the honey.

I'm hoping I have PURE honey frames in the top box vs. combo honey/brood. I'm guessing I'd want to avoid combo frames?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
they'll move stuff around and also start working themselves down in the hive. the combo frames will be all honey as the brood hatches and the bees put nectar in the empty cell.
get the new box on sooner rather than later, sounds like they need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts