Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Package on left has had robber screen on for 3 days now - you think they would have figured out the route by now, but they like to wad up on the outside of the screen where the entrance to the hive is.

They were so thick on the hive this afternoon - I was afraid they were swarming - but dreadfully hot (86) and humid. But the nuc is acting totally differently - calm.

I do worry about robbing, as both hives are being fed & on drawn comb, but there is little or no activity in front of hive in early morning.

Look familiar?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are double window-screened vent boxes.

Because my oil traps are boxed in, I essentially have no bottom ventilation comming thru my SBB & they were bearding quite heavily last year. They don't beard at all anymore & they don't treat that space as they do gaps above between hive frames with burr comb.

2" holes exactly fit 1 1/2" pvc end caps for winter.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
you think they would have figured out the route by now, but they like to wad up on the outside of the screen where the entrance to the hive is.
Hi Michael,
Which is why robber screens work. Bees do much of their close navigation, largely, on pheromones. They detect those through the screen....so they try the most direct route to the smell. Some never learn...if they do it's because they can, somehow, overcome the instinctive draw of the pheromones. Those triangle bee escapes work pretty much the same. Once they leave the super, they can't find their way back in because they are drawn to the smell at the screened part....and it's strongest at a distance from the real entrances.
The truth is, I doubt if you need to be too concerned with robbing right now. Our nectar flow is on. Even the bees in the hive will turn their noses up at syrup if they have abundant nectar.
ps nice lookin' hives

1 - 4 of 4 Posts