Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a british standard hive with 11 frames in each chamber. I would like to know what is the general practice regarding the number of brood chambers, just 1 or 2?

I did some calculations and seems that the queen would require 2 brood chambers to have enough space to reach its maximum laying capacity
1 chamber would limit its laying capacity due to lack of space

Am I correct?

thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
everything is local, where i am in NE US 2 brood chambers are pretty much the standard, in other warmer climates they can get away with a single deep.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here in BC Canada, I keep two brood chambers during spring and summer, but reduce it to one in the winter. It seems to work well here. We have fairly mild winters here.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
One deep here, but we manipulate frames. Using one deep is more intensive, but can yield more collectible honey.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
A lot of Canadian Pro's winter outside well wrapped in singles in very cold country. I was going to try some this year but chickened out and used two. many benefits wintering in three deeps. You can come into spring with some massive colonies. However you do it, do it good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Pedersen brothers of Cut Knife Saskatchewan developed a programme using single deep hives for over wintering outside. This is a fascinating story and takes place about twenty years ago. The three brother's experience proved that their method was the best both in terms of over wintering success and honey produced. The plan resulted by accident and experiment using two hive colonies wintered out doors and some in a wintering barn. They were running approx. 700 colonies. ABJ and Gleanings ran articles on their amazing achievement, they did not gas their bees in the fall and replace them with California packages every spring.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
A different Canadian commercial outfit uses roughly similar methods. Frenchbeefarm.com is a good place to check out. Better if you parleyvous as most of the material is in French, but some great information there is not and I urge people to check them out. People can go to pedersonapiaries.ca to read about what Mr. Bright discussed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a british standard hive with 11 frames in each chamber. I would like to know what is the general practice regarding the number of brood chambers, just 1 or 2?
The British Standard is interchangeable with Zander mass which is widely used in Germany. I use it. Sorry to say that 1,2 and 3 hive bodies are used as brood chambers in my area. I use 2 and that quite common. I suppose it comes down to how prolific your queens are.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
A different Canadian commercial outfit uses roughly similar methods. Frenchbeefarm.com is a good place to check out. Better if you parleyvous as most of the material is in French, but some great information there is not and I urge people to check them out. People can go to pedersonapiaries.ca to read about what Mr. Bright discussed.
Your link to Pendersen Apiaries was misspelled. Here is the link...
http://www.pedersenapiaries.ca/research_and_publications.html

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I may be mistaken but I thought there was only one brood chamber and the size of it determines how many boxes it spans.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Acebird,

The OP is using the word chamber to mean box, and asking if it is wrong to restrict the size of the brood area in his locality (Malta).

·
Registered
790 Posts
>>Are you using mediums for brood? I'm told that's common on the East Coast, and 3 mediums = 2 deeps.

No. I use 3 deep langstroth for brood chamber.

>>Big questions: are they filling up?

Of course.

>>How do you feel about swarming?

I've been keeping bees for at least 20 yrs. Swarming is not a major issue. Check here for unlimited broodnest management method of beekeeping: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesulbn.htm

Clay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts