Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive is a new one. Equipment and bees. I put the bees in July 1. Now I have small hive beetles running around in the hive body. What Do I need to do? I have seen about half a dozen so far.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am placing traps in hives and it's working well. The traps that are successful are the ones that I place on the bottom boards in the corners. I place a mixture of crisco, boric acid, honey and Combat Platinum in the traps. It's absolutely wearing out the beetles this year.
I opened one hive a few weeks ago to see about a dozen beetles on the inner cover and another 8-10 crawling between the frames and the frame spacers. 10 days after placing the traps, I opened up this hive to ZERO on the inner cover, ZERO in the frame spaces and a trap full of 25-30 dead beetles!!! The key was definitely placing the traps in the bottom board corner. Traps in other locations had very few beetles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
theriverhawk, what types of traps are you talking about? we are being overrun with shb this year. i have lost 3 hives that just 10 days before were booming with 5 supers of honey ready to pull.. really would like to go to all out war with them.

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I am going to go and make some traps up right now. I just got the hive started with brood and feeding and all, don't want to lose before I get started. Appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on the mixture, do you just mix it up 1 part for everything? Or do you have a certain mixing instruction? Thanks again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What size hole do you create that is big enough for the beetles but not for the bees?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you're trying to use the CD cases get the real thin cases. On each side there's a tab about an inch long. Use a pair of pliers and break that tab out to leave an opening 3/4"-1" long and about 1/8" high. Don't break into the top! Place the bait in the middle of the box and lay the box on top of the frames toward one end of your hive. Place another box on the bottom board back in a corner. If you want you can tape a piece of coat hanger wire to the ones that go on the bottom and just slide them in and out the front entrance. Check them every 2-3 weeks and empty the dead bodies and replenish the bait as needed. The Beetle Barns from Rossman's are easier to use but cost a buck apiece; they are infinitely reusable though. We're in the middle of the August-September SHB invasion right now and when I went through about 50 hives Tuesday each trap had 20-50 beetle corpses!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here's a couple of pics...
NOTICE THERE IS NOT BAIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CD CASE! There are some small holes that it will squeeze thru if you're not careful. Don't want the bees eating it!

Here's a side image of the CD case. I just snap off the little pieces on the sides and sometimes some of the little ridge that's on the inside bottom of the case. FYI: Sometimes the bees will propolise the holes.

As far as a mixture, I just wing it really. I take a glob of crisco, pour some boric acid power and honey in a mix it up. I then place it in the CD case and make a ring of the Combat Platinum around it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've used the same types of traps that Theriverhawk uses up until I put on supers. They are effective, but you have make sure your hives are level so the poison does not flow out of the trap.

I have also been moving my hives to as much sunlight is possible. I hope this helps keep SHB away or at least reduces their numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts