Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started a thread asking earlier about a hatched cell and still seeing the mother, well, that was a couple weeks ago or better. I think M. Bush told me that they may live together until the bees decide to make a choice. Well, that's what they are doing, plugging every available cell. I think they chose to supersede the mother due to a wing issue. But shes in there still laying away. Sorry her pic isn't that clear. I am amazed by the difference in color from mother to daughter. From almost solid red to heavily striped. Any thoughts on that?
:popcorn:
G.
Copy of DSC04751.jpg
Copy of DSC04766.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is so cool! I have read stories about 2 queen hives, but you getting to actually see it - amazing!

As for genetics: daughter must take after Dad. ;)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured, Seems alot of darker colors coming in with the open mated queens this year. Ive got 3 colors of bees in a couple hives..... Yeah, it is cool, will be interesting to see how it all works out. G:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Here's a pic from one of my hives a few years ago. I've seen 2 queens in a hive a few times since then but this was certainly the most obvious!
2_queens.jpg

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
With my limit experience with two queens hives, this is what I noticed.
Might be a genetic factor that makes a two queen hive (AHB can have many queens). The size of the hive also may play a part in it, a 3 deep hive might be more likely to have two queens.

From a resent made a split with the queen (the sister hive was a two queen hive) there was one queen cell, I remove the queen and left them the capped q cell. They made several emergency cells after the queen was gone. My though was if they were going to swarm they would have more Q cells, if they wanted to supersedure they would have also made more than one.

I have the queen in a nuc with different bees, it will be curious if these new bee replace here or keep her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts