Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened my two first year hives today.

The first hive (one deep,one medium) was strongly bearded due to the warm weather. Tons of bees fanning out front. They've been going crazy at our watering spots lately due to the heat.
The hive was crammed with bees in ever nook and cranny,and everything was well propolised together. The top super had 8 out of 10 partially filled frames,with two frames undrawn. I supered it with a new medium to give them some expansion room.

The second hive...ugh. Again,one deep,one medium. This hive has always been the slower developing hive,even from the first feedings. They've always had a queen,so I haven't worried too much. At last check 2 weeks back,they had decently filled out the brood area (7 frames drawn)
I must have supered that medium a bit too early. The medium was nearly empty,with only token pollen and maybe 4 frames drawn out. On to the hive body to search out the problem... I pull 4 out of 10 frames. Only 3 or 4 frames have brood.The first frame has a solid patch of brood (half the frame,but oddly all shoved to one side of the frame rather than the "rainbow" I usually find in my good hive). The second frame is pulled and out scurries a SHB. Swell. I squish him with the hive tool,and observe bee reactions to him for my own education. A worker shoots over to try to wrangle him,sniffs a bit,then ignores him and wanders off. No other evidence of beetles under frames or in the frames that I checked,but I didn't have the heart to check the bottom of the hive for larvae. Pull the 2nd frame up. Spotty brood and...a supercedure cell. I pull two more frames,and see no more supercedure cells,but more spotty brood with minimal honey and pollen stores.

So I would really like some opinions from the experienced beekeepers here:
-Let the hive try to survive with their supercedure?
-Toss in a beetle trap or something of that sort?
-Combine them with my newly supered large hive? (The SHB worries me with this option). Also not sure how I should handle this with the newly placed medium already on the strong hive. All of my brood is in a deep,so I can't just move the frames over.
-Requeen them now?
-Other options?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So I would really like some opinions from the experienced beekeepers here:
-Let the hive try to survive with their supercedure? YES
-Toss in a beetle trap or something of that sort? I wouldnt bother with it yet. I keep mine in full sun and very very crowded and they handle them on their own. Squich as many as i see, and thats not a lot
-Combine them with my newly supered large hive? (The SHB worries me with this option). Also not sure how I should handle this with the newly placed medium already on the strong hive. All of my brood is in a deep,so I can't just move the frames over. Let the supercedure queen roll. See what happens. There is a reason they are superceding her
-Requeen them now? na
-Other options?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
as they dont have any stored honey, i would use an internal feeder. the dearth will soon be upon you.
good luck,mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts