Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I teamed up two weak trap-out hives that lost the Buckfast queens I introduced to them. I am curious if after tomorrow I can or should team that combined hive with a swarm I caught that definitely has a real Queen in it. Is there a problem with this idea?

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
If there are active laying workers, there is a chance they will kill the queen in the swarm. If no laying workers, then it should work with a newspaper combine. A sheet of newspaper between the hive you have and the hive you set on top of it. Chewing out the newspaper gives the bees from both hives a common task to do, and helps them get along with each other right away.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
With laying workers, that creates a problem. If it was me, I think I'd shake the laying worker hives all out on the ground 100+ feet away and remove the stands. I'd give the beeless combs to the queen right swarm. The bees shook out will beg their way into the queen right swarm. The only problem might be that if there are more bees begging their way in than what is already in the hive, it might cause a problem, so I'd put an entrance reducer on to help slow it all down.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Yes, I meant to mention that both trap-outs appear to have laying workers in them.
Not knowing the physical size of these three hives it is hard to tell but my first thought is to dump both hives and put one back at a location between the two laying worker hives. In a couple of days dump the remaining hive again and don't put anything back.

Because goldenrod is not far off I might not dump the hive a second time until I see that the hive does not gain weight through the flow.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Not knowing the physical size of these three hives it is hard to tell but my first thought is to dump both hives and put one back at a location between the two laying worker hives. In a couple of days dump the remaining hive again and don't put anything back.

Because goldenrod is not far off I might not dump the hive a second time until I see that the hive does not gain weight through the flow.
what??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts