Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a source where I can obtain a white 1 gallon pail for syrup that has a flat center in the lid, without a ripple in the center, that prevents the screen plug from sitting square, thus causing leaking.

I'd like to use the Betterbee screened plug (FSP1) in the lid with a friction fit that would allow easy access to filling.

In talking with Chris from Betterbee, the pails they offer have a ripple in the center and are not recommended with use of the screen plug. Therefore the lid for their pails has the screen embedded into the plastic. Now in order to fill the pail, one must have a bucket opening tool in order to remove the lid.

If you can point me to a source for a flat, no ripple, lidded pail that I could use the screen plug on, it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ck out the one gal buckets @ Siciliano’s, I drilled holes in the lids that I bought from there. Lowe’s has food grade 1 gal buckets too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I ordered mine from Industrial container and supply there lids have ridges but there buckets are only $1.20 each

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use Berlin packaging. They have ripples but they are smaller than the plug. So when you drill the hole they disappear. I just got done making 200 of them. I chose black so the syrup would heat up. I'm in Montana where it is still snowing today.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TNTBEES, did you get your screen plug from Betterbee? I'm assuming you drilled the hole for a friction fit so that you can remove it to fill the pail without having to remove the entire lid. Did you use a 1 7/8 hole in your lid? Thank you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got mine from B&B Honey Farm. They are the same price and probably the same plug. I use a 2" hole saw like they said to use. An 1 7/8" would be way to small. Berlin also sells white pails but they are more expensive. We got another 3" of snow last night and we are making 250 nucs on Thursday. I think the black pail will make the syrup just alittle warmer. We won't use them again until fall so I don't think overheating will be an issue.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I got mine from B&B Honey Farm. They are the same price and probably the same plug. I use a 2" hole saw like they said to use. An 1 7/8" would be way to small. Berlin also sells white pails but they are more expensive. We got another 3" of snow last night and we are making 250 nucs on Thursday. I think the black pail will make the syrup just alittle warmer. We won't use them again until fall so I don't think overheating will be an issue.
Being Devil's advocate here...won't using black pail make the air inside the bucket get warmer faster than a white pail? If so, there might be a chance that the cold syrup gets forced out onto the bees, yes? You could probably do a quick experiment using water and an empty box with a catch basin below the pail to see if this would happen.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TNTBEES, can you confirm for me that when you made your feeders up with the 2 inch hole that your intentions were for a friction fit of the plug that allowed you to remove it for filling? OR did you permanently epoxy it into the lid?

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is friction fit. I want to able to remove the plug to fill. Out of the 200 I did, probably 15 were a little to loose for my liking, so I put a couple of drops on hot glue on them. That stiffened them up to where I don't think I have to worry, and I can still pop out the plug to refill. I'm thinking that a little buildup of sugar next time will solve the problem. At 2" most were so tight I had to tap the lid down over the plug to get it to seat. An 1 7/8" hole would be way to small. I'm running an experiment right now to see if the black bucket will be a problem. We still only reach 50 deg right now so I don't think it will be trouble. I know of a few guys using black and they said it works. Well see.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Check to see if Paragon Pails of Melrose Park, Il make a 1 gallon pail. We use their 2 gallon pails, and weld a SS screen in the lid. If you like them, and we do, order thru Dee at BASCO. The lids seal, AND can be removed without great effort.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
109 Posts
My black pails have been on the nuc's now for 5 days and I have noticed no appreciable amount of leakage. But the warmest day we have had so far is 60 and nights are still below freezing. The pails warm up nicely mid-morning. Seems to be working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts