Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left 1 frame out when introducing a new queen to what I though was a queen-less hive. Well today I looked....4 days after putting in the candy plug to find the space where the missing frame was filled with comb and eggs on both sides. Also the queen I was trying to introduce was dead in the cadge. So I figure they did swarm and I had a virgin queen. So......

Question 1:
Should I leave the comb filled with eggs and try to remove it after most of the bees hatch? Or remove it now?

Question 2:
Why do my bees seem to be swarm happy? I checked my other hive and noticed about 15+ swarm cells capped. They have 2 brood boxes with maybe 12 or so frames drawn and the others not. Whats with the 7 of 10 rule? Its failed me twice now.

Question 3:
Should I, now that its warm, have at least on extra box on at all times? I put on my excluder and a supper just to be safe, but now its to late and they are going to swarm. I just hope I can catch the swarm this time.

Thank you,
Jonathan

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Sometimes bees do not read all the books and posts on these forums. You do everything to prevent swarming. They are healthy and swarm. Swarming is reproduction to bees. Think back to your teenage days. Life is all about reproduction!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sirjonvh,

1. Leave the comb in the donor hive and get the bees. Clean it up afterwards.

2. What kind of bee do you have? And I'd Re-queen with a cell. Your bees didn't like the Queen either and they are giving you 15+ new ones. Don't believe that crap that "swarm cell Queens are no good". They're great.

3. Do a split or two into Nuc's. Take the old Queen into one of the splits. Cut some Queen cells out for the Nuc's and put one in each Nuc between frames on top.

Keep some Nuc's to re-queen with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have one hive of Italian (the hive with 10+ swarm cells) and one of Minnesota Hygienic (the hive I tried to re-queen).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts