Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in SC and down south the predominant hive set up is 1 deep then 1 medium for brood then honey supers. It seems more north you go double deeps is more the norm. Why? With our limited nectar flow and long pollen season why wouldn't most down here use double deeps? I would think they increased field force would maximize our limited nectar flow. Is it because greater numbers means you have to feed more?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I don't know for sure but it seems to me that greater numbers down south would consume a lot more stores. The colder temperature up here limits the usage of stores until the queen kicks back in to replenish the population lost through the winter. It isn't as though a small hive wouldn't make it up here. M Palmer winters nucs so they do make it but it requires more attention and is a greater risk than just going with a two deep hive in the winter.

If you had a crystal ball and could predict what the future weather will be it would make beekeeping easier, wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I have some deep boxes with a medium above it for brood. It's OK, but I like having both brood boxes the same so that you can readily move frames from brood box to brood box. I am going to all medium eight frame boxes. They're lighter and you never have to worry about moving frames up and down in the colony.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I prefer double deeps myself. In the fall they really pack in the nectar from the goldenrod giving them ample stores for winter. I agree with Ace, they do tend to break cluster more in the winter months down here due to the warmer temps.

If I were gonna ramp up production then I'd use three mediums for brood and dump the deeps all together, but I'm only running 13 hives so I don't mind them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts